cadman

Weedguards: Kaysure Lure or Fishingskirts.com

I have been buying weedguards from Kaysure Lure for over 15 years.  Don't really have an issue with them. I have noticed however that fishing skirts.com has weedguards that are perfectly round and fused on one end. It seems that they would be easier to put in. Here are my questions;

What are your thoughts on one versus the other, quality, ease of use, durability, adhesion etc.?

Can you buy the fishingskirts.com weedguards from the the manufacutrer direct (if so does anyone know who it is) or do you have to get them from fishingskirts.com

Thanks for any input or help.

Edited by cadman

9 minutes ago, cadman said:

I have been buying weedguards from Kaysure Lure for over 15 years.  Don't really have an issue with them. I have noticed however that fishing skirts.com has weedguards that are perfectly round and fused on one end. It seems that they would be easier to put in. Here are my questions;

What are your thoughts on one versus the other, quality, ease of use, durability, adhesion etc.?

Can you buy the fishingskirts.com weedguards from the the manufacutrer direct (if so does anyone know who it is) or do you have to get them from fishingskirts.com

Thanks for any input or help.

Never used fishing shirts dot com

I have tried to buy from the "manufacturer" but didn't have any luck.

I heard they  were made in Vietnam. 

I like them because of how they are made. I know you have said before that you place your skirts in upside down. Don't know how these would play into that technique. I still have to pull a few strands out of the FS weedguard and trim some of the welded end plastic and dry fit them before I glue them in. Otherwise, you can't get them in the hole on some of the jigs. Maybe the end of some of my Teflon pins have been eroded by scraping them to remove paint. I dunno. All that said, I hate the hair and stray strands you get from the other weedguards. With the FS brand you have none of this. Very clean.

1 minute ago, Apdriver said:

I like them because of how they are made. I know you have said before that you place your skirts in upside down. Don't know how these would play into that technique. I still have to pull a few strands out of the FS weedguard and trim some of the welded end plastic and dry fit them before I glue them in. Otherwise, you can't get them in the hole on some of the jigs. Maybe the end of some of my Teflon pins have been eroded by scraping them to remove paint. I dunno. All that said, I hate the hair and stray strands you get from the other weedguards. With the FS brand you have none of this. Very clean.

You are correct, I do install my current weedguards upside down, as the fused end in the Kaysure lures weedguards  seem to be melted as part of their fusing process, which inevitably flattens the fused end, making it almost impossible to put in. Even by putting them upside down, there are some times where I will have to pull off a strand or two.

Do you have any problems keeping the FS weedguards from falling out of the hole in the jig? I assume you are using epoxy or Gel super glue?

I use them Cadman and I like them a lot!!!!  I get the clear and black mediums in the 1/8oz and I never have to pull strands and no fuzz!!!  I never really minded having to pull the fuzz off the end until I went through 100 of the BOSS weed guards, I never realized how much time I waste doing that.  The hardness is also consistent, the mediums have all been the same but I haven't ordered in bulk either. I usually get 300 clear and 300 black when I buy skirt material, I still have about 2200 of the Kaysure manufactured ones that I use when I run out of the BOSS.

They are decent.  The molded base goes into weedguard holes easier and saves time.  Some of the earlier weedguards were packed too tight in shrink wrap packages and were curved; one batch had a rim around the bases like they had been cut with a hot knife, kept them from going into weedguard holes until i used a file on them. I buy these weedguards in regular colors, but still buy the multi-color weedguards from Kayser.

22 hours ago, Apdriver said:

Do you have any problems keeping the FS weedguards from falling out of the hole in the jig? I assume you are using epoxy or Gel super glue?

No Cadman, I never have had one come out. I usually use super glue gel.

I use both super glue gel and epoxy, it depends on what type of jig I'm doing. If I'm doing jigs with eyes, then the weed guard gets epoxied in place since I'm coating the head. If the jig is just a regular jig without eyes I'll use super glue gel. I've never had them come out and as I said before, they fit snug without me having to remove any stands.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, smalljaw said:

I use both super glue gel and epoxy, it depends on what type of jig I'm doing. If I'm doing jigs with eyes, then the weed guard gets epoxied in place since I'm coating the head. If the jig is just a regular jig without eyes I'll use super glue gel. I've never had them come out and as I said before, they fit snug without me having to remove any stands.

I do this as well. No point using epoxy and waiting for it to dry, when Gel Super Glue works as well and dries in half the time.