cadman

Weedguards Revisited

So I looked into this further, as I am in the need of a several thousand weedguards, and this is the info I found in a nutshell. After speaking with some members on this site  and getting some opinions, I have finally made a choice. I have also called both companies and was really surprised at the feedback. Now mind you I have never used fishingskirts.com weedguards,  however in speaking with them, they are willing to work with me on pricing in volume. On the other hand Kaysure Lure has established pricing, on their price page. Now the quantities I am talking about is 1K to 10K. With that said , I am going to try fishing skirts .com. Kaysure Lures pricing has really increased over the years and many times their weedguard strands do separate from the bunch. Nothing wrong with their product, it's just that we all are trying to save money where we can and with the rounded base on the fishing skirts.com weedguard, it looks like it would be the best decision at this time. I will let you guys know down the road on how their quality control is. Currently they are out of some of the weedguards I want, but once in stock, I will be placing an order. 

Just an FYI, I am not related to or have any affiliation with either of these companies.

• Like 1

Ted, I've used guards from Charles (fishingskirts) since he put them up on the site.  There is a difference in the material but if you aren't pouring the guard in the head first and curing powder paint with the guard in, it isn't a problem.  I used to paint with the guard poured in place with some molds and the guards from fishingskirts will deform when put in the oven, even with a cover over them.  I don't do that anymore since using Teflon pins.  Just glue in place.

The only other issue I have is a few guards might have a curve to them out of the package.  Kaiser's guards are always perfectly straight.  But I like the solid base of fishingskirts'.  And the price.  I can toss a few if need be and still be ahead on price.

Fishingskirts only has two stiffness, med and heavy.  I have to get the soft ones from Kaiser for swim jigs and pay the higher price. 

On 1/3/2017 at 0:24 PM, cadman said:

So I looked into this further, as I am in the need of a several thousand weedguards, and this is the info I found in a nutshell. After speaking with some members on this site  and getting some opinions, I have finally made a choice. I have also called both companies and was really surprised at the feedback. Now mind you I have never used fishingskirts.com weedguards,  however in speaking with them, they are willing to work with me on pricing in volume. On the other hand Kaysure Lure has established pricing, on their price page. Now the quantities I am talking about is 1K to 10K. With that said , I am going to try fishing skirts .com. Kaysure Lures pricing has really increased over the years and many times their weedguard strands do separate from the bunch. Nothing wrong with their product, it's just that we all are trying to save money where we can and with the rounded base on the fishing skirts.com weedguard, it looks like it would be the best decision at this time. I will let you guys know down the road on how their quality control is. Currently they are out of some of the weedguards I want, but once in stock, I will be placing an order. 

Just an FYI, I am not related to or have any affiliation with either of these companies.

I like a guard with a slight bend.  I face it to the rear.  I think it helps weeds slide off the jig more easily, and makes me more comfortable using a stiffer weed guard.  

I have bee using the fishingskirts.com weedguards in the last 500-600 jigs I have made.  I do not pour them in, I use the pin.  I powder coat, bake, then glue in the guard.  I love the consistency of the solid base.  The one main drawback I have found in them, is the memory they have.  They do not do a very good job of returning to their normal shape after catching a fish.  They get spread out and bent very easily and tend to stay that way.  So for me, the jury is still out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr B said:

I have bee using the fishingskirts.com weedguards in the last 500-600 jigs I have made.  I do not pour them in, I use the pin.  I powder coat, bake, then glue in the guard.  I love the consistency of the solid base.  The one main drawback I have found in them, is the memory they have.  They do not do a very good job of returning to their normal shape after catching a fish.  They get spread out and bent very easily and tend to stay that way.  So for me, the jury is still out.

I like how I can fan their guards out, so the jigs come through wood better, and they stay fanned.

5 hours ago, Mr B said:

I understand how that would be helpful.  However, thay also get spread out the other directions (toward hook eye and hook point)  and tend to stay that way.  They are decent, but the ones I always got from Janns and other places did not have this issue so much.

Thanks for the info.  I still have quite a few of  the others left. I am going to try the fishing skirts.com weedguards this Spring myself, before I make the plunge. I don't want to put inferior weedguards (if they are) on my jigs. Never really had a problem with Kaisure weedguards, other than their price point keep going up.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, robn510 said:

i need to order some of these. I have been buying brooms at the dollar store and cutting the bristles to make weed guards. thanks for the info! :yes:

Years ago, I thought about contacting a broom manufacturer to buy the small bundles of bristles. I thought  that , that would be a cheaper alternative. However I never go that far, and couldn't find a manufacturer that would sell them to me .  So the idea was aborted.

• Like 1