bobv

smallmouth hair jig

4 hours ago, smalljaw said:

Wacky jig head. I use it for silicone jigs too and while the Do-it wire weed guard is adequate, you can go up in wire size.  I use a size #1 Mustad 37180 wacky hook (available only through LPO) for that head style.

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that, thanks....................Bob

19 hours ago, Jig Man said:

What kind of molds do you own?  You may be able to modify them to take a wire guard.  What size wire are you thinking?

Where in MO are you located?

I don't do lead. Looking to buy some. Used to buy a jig from BPro but they discontinued it. Wire isn't very heavy at all,  just enough to keep it from hanging constantly.  I'm over by Carthage, I think we talked at Stockton one morning.

AKA unclebass

I tie a lot of hair jigs and I have used both wire weed guards and fiber weed guards and the wire weed guards work well in rock, other than that I like using the small 1/16" FG-9 fiber weed guard.  You can add a wire weed guard to any weedless mold, for jigs that have a small weed guard slot you simply use plumbers putty to fill the slot and then add the wire or you can use aluminum foil to hold the wire and keep the lead from bleeding out of the cavity. For normal 1/8" diameter weed guards all you need is a skirt collar and put the wire in the center and drop it in the slot, the collar holds the wire and keeps the lead from bleeding out as well. So if you have a size with a certain hook, you can find someone to pour them with wire weed guards.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jig Man said:

Was that at Mutton Creek when I was getting the Chief and Card signs for my son in law?

Depending on how many jigs you want, what size and type of hook and the head weight I may be able to fix you up.  Let me know.

Yeah that was me. I don't need a ton, couple dozen maybe. 3/16 and 1/4 with #1 hook. I like a compact bait for winter fishing rocks.

I have been looking at Smalljaws jigs that he has made. I'm working with heads from a Do-It mold that I modified to take a light weed guard for rocky river smallmouths.

I have used marabou, hair and silicone skirts. I have some nice looking imitations of minnow and craw. Thanks Smalljaws!

Can't wait to use them. One question, does anybody use marks to give a craw shell look? I have got the orange,  red and dark horizontal pattern. I'm wondering if it would be to much or not.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Jig Man said:

bobv  I checked my molds and don't have any 3/16.  I do have a 1/4 that will take a 90# surflon braided/coated cable which I use in my tube jigs.  It doesn't have a lead collar on it.  I also checked and have a lot of #1 hooks.

Let me know if I can help you with them.

Do you have anything between 1/8 and 1/4?  What type of head?

No nothing between them and nothing larger than 1/4.  This is the ball jig mold that I use for my white bass hair jigs.  To get exactly what you want you may need to contact Cadman since smalljaw didn't seem to have what you are hunting.

This is what the jig head looks like in a 1/16 oz FnF jig.

DSC01434.jpg

Edited by Jig Man

3 hours ago, Jig Man said:

Sometimes, but with limited results except for specs when the get on the James river roll offs.

I have an uncle in W. Va that just raves about it. Couple weeks ago he and a friend caught 22 smallies in 30min. up to 3.5lb.

He is convinced I should be using it on TableRock. Might go down the white a ways and try it.

• Like 1

Used to have a great friend, guiding on upper Potomac, his name escapes me at the moment(like a lot of things these days), but he tied the best hair jig for smallies I ever saw.  Used nothing but bear hair and cropped it off fairly short.  Unfortunately he left us several years back and I have been trying to duplicate his jig for years.  It works on THE James too.

Used to have a great friend, guiding on upper Potomac, his name escapes me at the moment(like a lot of things these days), but he tied the best hair jig for smallies I ever saw.  Used nothing but bear hair and cropped it off fairly short.  Unfortunately he left us several years back and I have been trying to duplicate his jig for years.  It works on THE James too.

Hey..The memory just clicked....Mr Butch Ward was his name.  Great guy!

• Like 2