bobv

smallmouth hair jig

Bob,

I am currently working on some hair jigs as well.  I inquired about this a while back and was given some pointers.  I ended up buying two molds from Do-It for making bucktail jigs for cold weather fishing.  My plan is to tie bucktail with a small amount of round living rubber over top of the bucktail, tied in finesse style.  I wanted these in the 1/8th to 1/4oz sizes.   I will trailer these with Uncle Josh #11 pork.  Yes, I stocked up on that.  I didn't give a lot of thought to the weed guard.  My plan was to use the FG-30 fiber guard in the lighter stiffness range and trim as needed.  I trim all my fiber guards as to what the situation dictates.  The two molds I purchased  are:

Snootie Jig SNT-3-AYS for fishing brush and the Round Weedless Jig RWR-3-AYS for gravel/rock

I just poured a few of the Snootie heads today using the Owner 5304 hook in 3/0.  What a bad daddy little hook :)

Oh, and another little tid bit.  Not to offend anyone...but I never really was a big fan of stick on eyes on bass jigs unless their on swimjigs imitating baitfish.  They just don't look right on bottom bouncing jigs imitating crawfish.  Just my opinion.  That's the one thing that disappointed me on this snootie jig mold, it has the recessed eye for the 2.5 stick on eye.  Which, after some research I learned is a 4mm 5/32 size.  Anyway, I found some 4mm all black 3D eyes to get the job done!  Now to me that will just look more crawfishy :)

• Like 1

Smalljaw I believe it may have been you along with a few others that gave me some pointers on these molds.  Thank you.  Now that you know my applications and the molds I intend to use would you care to share some more detailed knowledge on weedguards.  I like the idea of the wire weed guard for a smaller finesse style bait.  I never knew of the skirt collar trick.  In your experience, what size/brand/type of wire do I need to use for these two molds.  Both molds accept the 1/8 FG-30 fiber weed guard.

@Troutgnat, if large eyes don't appeal to you try painting or using a color pen to have a smaller size. Another way is to think about foil and make your own, you will be surprised in what can be done. A clear coat will bring the look out. You can ease the eye socket before any painting with sanding the edges to make it somewhat realistic. 

Just a thought.

9 hours ago, troutgnat said:

Smalljaw I believe it may have been you along with a few others that gave me some pointers on these molds.  Thank you.  Now that you know my applications and the molds I intend to use would you care to share some more detailed knowledge on weedguards.  I like the idea of the wire weed guard for a smaller finesse style bait.  I never knew of the skirt collar trick.  In your experience, what size/brand/type of wire do I need to use for these two molds.  Both molds accept the 1/8 FG-30 fiber weed guard.

Your hair jig concept is a lot different than mine, I'm finesse more than power.  I use the weedless ball head for jigs with weed guards and I'm using 1/16oz to 1/4oz but most never go over 1/8oz and the largest hook I use is a 1/0 light wire with a trailer like a Ron Yurko finesse chunk by Venom lures. For your situation, or any time I fish around brush, I like the fiber guards better than wire,  but I like the smaller FG-12 and FG-9 size fiber weed guards. If you contact Cadman, I believe he has reducer pins for sale, these are base hole pins that are 1/8" diameter for the weed guard slot but the ends are machined down to 5/64" and 1/16" diameter. That way you can position the pin in the mold so the larger part is at the entrance to the cavity and the smaller end goes in the cavity, that way you get no lead bleed and it leaves a small hole for the smaller weed guard.  If you want to use wire, use Surflon 7 strand in 90# or if you are uncomfortable cutting and making them you can buy them already made from LPO, they aren't the Do-it models, they make a braided wire weed guard that is heavier and works really well,  just use the skirt collar trick to put it in.

• Like 1

Smalljaw,  Thank you for such a wealth of information.  I'm just starting out making my own hair jigs so I plan to do a lot of experimenting.  I have the ballhead jig mold your speaking of already and plan to go that route to, I just got really excited about this snootie mold.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, troutgnat said:

Smalljaw,  Thank you for such a wealth of information.  I'm just starting out making my own hair jigs so I plan to do a lot of experimenting.  I have the ballhead jig mold your speaking of already and plan to go that route to, I just got really excited about this snootie mold.

If you haven't already seen Smalljaws YouTube tutorials, you need to look them up. He has some great stuff on tying and how he does things there. Also explains why he does things the way he produces his jigs. Really cool stuff, and you are right, he's a wealth of knowledge and an asset to our community.

• Like 1

I just watched a few and they are really good.  I love the fact that you provide info that is really valuable and only comes from doing.  That type of info makes it much easier for those just getting started as well as increasing one's success and satisfaction levels.  (I get bummed out easily when things don't go so well!)

David

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smallmouthaholic said:

Smallmouth bass hair jigs are made from cross cut rabbit hair. I.M.O. and experience, fiber guards have no business on a cold water ,smallmouth hair jig- you'll simply miss too many ,mush mouth bites.

I agree, my cold water hair jigs rarely use a fiber guard.  

On 1/11/2017 at 10:54 AM, Hopalong7 said:

Used to have a great friend, guiding on upper Potomac, his name escapes me at the moment(like a lot of things these days), but he tied the best hair jig for smallies I ever saw.  Used nothing but bear hair and cropped it off fairly short.  Unfortunately he left us several years back and I have been trying to duplicate his jig for years.  It works on THE James too.

Hey..The memory just clicked....Mr Butch Ward was his name.  Great guy!

I knew Butch well used to supply him with his Cardinal 3&4 spinning reels for exchange of 1/4 and 1/8 painted jig heads with mono weed guards. I have been looking everywhere to try to find them and have failed, i only have a handful left and am getting depressed!

Welcome to TU, Trauma King. That doesn't sound like a awfully hard jig to reproduce and we have many talented tacklecrafters here. I bet if you ask and are willing to buy those, someone here can produce them for you. Maybe start a thread in the wanted adds with a pic. 

1 hour ago, Trauma-King said:

I knew Butch well used to supply him with his Cardinal 3&4 spinning reels for exchange of 1/4 and 1/8 painted jig heads with mono weed guards. I have been looking everywhere to try to find them and have failed, i only have a handful left and am getting depressed!

Yes Apdriver is correct.

Someone here will come to the rescue and you will no longer be depressed.

Welcome to TU.

9 hours ago, Trauma-King said:

Here are some pics of the long gone by the way side.  The "Butch Ward " plain jig head with mono weed guard .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That looks like a snub nosed, weedless darter head.  Someone must have that mold, even if you have to snub the nose yourself.

Here's a head you could modify:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamakatsu_Darter_Heads_5pk/descpage-GDH.html

Edited by mark poulson

You can make that with the Tube & Tails jig mold but it only has 1/8oz and 1/4oz cavities. All you need to do is modify it for an FG-12 weed guard (5/64") and it is close even with the raised eye bump. If you wanted to go further you can file or sand the top to give it a more pointed profile and you'd have the same jig and the mold is a heavy hook model so you can use a Gamakatsu 604 or an Owner 5313 if you wanted a more stout hook or you could still use a light wire hook as well.