wootonc

new to plastics

Hello I am new to pouring of soft plastics. I have been making jigs buzz baits spinner baits shakey heads for about 6 years now. I am looking at getting into the injection of plastics mainly swim baits grubs and finesse worms. Looking for do's and don'ts before I wast a lot of money like I did when I started making jigs before I found this site. Best places to buy molds plastics and coloring's. Thanks for the help

Read the stickys at the top of the soft plastic forum. Some very good info there. Also if in doubt don't be afraid to post questions as we will alll try to help. It really isn't as hard as it seems especially with some of the bait makers here to help. Just be prepared to spend some money if you end up deciding it's something you really want to pursue.It kind of goes with the territory. lol  I just started back in the spring & i have several injection molds of my favorite baits that we use locally &  my buddys get theirs from me which helps offset the cost a little. The best  thing is you can have colors no one else has & the fish haven't saw before & nothing is as cool as catching them on baits & colors that you made yourself.

I have a tackle store that I own I sell my own jigs here and do a lot of custom stuff for customers and they plastic side is something theve been wanting me to get into for a while now just never pulled the trigger but I am making a move that direction and just reasearching before I put a lot of cash into it.

Pouring your own baits is fun, but hot plastic can be dangerous, just like hot lead.

Many of the same precautions you take when pouring lead should be taken with plastisol.

Use a respirator with a solvent filter cartridge, use gloves, and have an exhaust fan removing the fumes as they're generated.  If you can smell the plastic, it's getting into your eyes and lungs, and any other open mucus membranes.  That is something to avoid. 

Take your time, and plan your moves before you begin to pour.

A clear working area prevents accidents.  I have the plastic coated shoes to prove that, and lots of streaked pant legs.

Never pour without full clothing.  Short sleeves will work, once you have gotten your feet under you, but err on the side of caution at first, so you'll enjoy pouring.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

I've recently started also.

Safety first.  Part of the fun is trying different products to see what you like for a particular bait/etc.  

As far as where to buy plastic:

What type of plastic you like is subjective, and I've tried the following plastisol so far.

MF supersoft plastic from Barlow's Tackle in Richardson, TX online store and in store ----very, very soft  pours extremely well, even with lots of salt added

Lurecraft 502 medium strength from Lurecraft online store  ---  right in the middle, like baby bear's oatmeal, not to soft, not too rigid.

Do-it essential plastisol from tacklewarehouse ---the most rigid, and least forgiving (temperature control/pourability/etc)

Colorants

MF colorants from Barlows Tackle in Richardson, TX online and in store--limited selection at Barlow's, but good strong colors

Lurecraft colorants--very good selection, vivid colors

Have fun.