cmpeagle79

Irregular trailer tire wear

Hey fellas! Having  a problem with my single axle boat trailer tires wearing excessively on the outside. I replaced both with new tires and I'm beginning to see signs of the same thing. Trailer seems to track pretty straight behind the truck (as far as I can tell).

Ive done some research , but.... idk

Bent axle, tires not balanced, axle needs to be aligned??? 

Best coarse of action to trouble shoot this?

thanks!!!

You could try measuring the distance between the wheels in both front and back of the wheels. Just be sure to hold the tape in exactly the same place on the back of the wheel as you do the front. This should tell you if your axle is bent.

good luck,

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

I'm a little late to the party on this one. I have a trailer made by Big Tex which is a large trailer manufacturer in Palestine, Tx. My tires on that trailer we're doing the same thing. They manufacture the axle to be loaded all the time and it had a bend in it in the middle. I don't know what the call it but it wasn't a straight axle. Well, I rarely carry 3500 lbs. on it. So I just happened to drive through Palestine one day and stopped by the factory to talk to them. They asked a few questions about load and such. They ended up putting a new straight axle under it. Problem solved.

Moving forward, I now own a big 20 foot tandem axle bass boat with a 250 on it. It's pretty heavy and being a relatively new glass boat, big motor, boat owner, I actively follow the owners board. The manufacturer says the biggest problems they see in unusual tire wear are bent spindles. Want to know how many get bent? By scrubbing the tires on curbs at McDonald's, Chick-fil-A, etc. drive thrus. Usually the left one but any curb will do it.