Super Ron

What's the Market Like

For those of you who sell your stuff, what's the market like for custom painted cranks (just the airbrushing of plastic blanks)?   Do those of you who do this have to sit in front of your work table all day to keep up with orders?  I've seen pages that have said back orders of up to 3 months.

My boy wants to start selling the blanks I have been painting along with his stuff.   I'm not sure I want to be told, "Hey Dad, I need and order of 6 Genghis Khans in 2.5s by next Thursday".   After a serious injury I can not always function like I want and as much as I know he care, he hasn't seen me on my bad days (lives 4 hours away with his own wife and kids), and doesn't really get it.  If those of you who just sell them to keep your hobby afloat and sell in your local area can give realistic expectations or what YOU average a month would be a great insight in wrestling with this in my head.  Damn Voices.

if you sell on ebay you can use the bidding function to use limited production rates to your advantage. if people see your products on social media (pinterest, twitter, instagram, etc.) and they want them, they will gladly pay for them competitively sometimes paying twice the original price.

think of it like chumming fish, if you dump out an entire drum of chum the fish will have more food than they need and slowly swim around eating their fill, but if you let out a small amount of chum at a time they will be much more vicious, fighting to the death for the smallest chunks of food.

I intend to dabble. I will make what I make, when I make it. If dude "A" won't bite, dude "B" or dude "AAB1273" will. 

If someone wants something, they buy it. If you have something, you sell it. No "custom" orders or getting buried. Easy peasy. 

Find ways to make what you are doing different, get good at it, and word of mouth will take it from there. 

• Like 3