Skimpy

Football Swing Jig vs Fixed Football head in the test tank video

Great video... It would show a bigger difference when used with a floating or unsalted plastic.... The football head will kill the action and swing head will shine. It will look more natural, life like and buoyant.  

I make Football head weight only with a size "0" SS sinker insert...  Put it on a VMC Crankbait Snap size "0" and then add my hook.... This makes the ultimate Jika Rigged Craw...  I use no salt craws and some with flotation... They are the bomb!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 21xdc said:

Great video... It would show a bigger difference when used with a floating or unsalted plastic.... The football head will kill the action and swing head will shine. It will look more natural, life like and buoyant.  

I make Football head weight only with a size "0" SS sinker insert...  Put it on a VMC Crankbait Snap size "0" and then add my hook.... This makes the ultimate Jika Rigged Craw...  I use no salt craws and some with flotation... They are the bomb!

Thanks for watching !!!!   I didn't use any salt in the craws

As I mentioned in another post, I think the big advantage of the swing jigs is that it's harder for the fish to throw the swing jig.

The swing wire really dampens the force the head has to act on the fulcrum of the hook to weight.

It would be interesting to see the same test with a big paddle tail swimbait to see if there is a noticeable change in the swing left to right or up and down.

Keep those videos coming!!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dpalinsk said:

I felt like I was watching a real bad puppet show, but I couldn't stop watching it!  Seriously though, I've never fished those kinds of jigs and it was very cool to see them in action.

Thanks,

David

So funny you said that, I was totally thinking when I was making the video "I feel like a puppeteer" hahahhaha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaBehr said:

As I mentioned in another post, I think the big advantage of the swing jigs is that it's harder for the fish to throw the swing jig.

The swing wire really dampens the force the head has to act on the fulcrum of the hook to weight.

It would be interesting to see the same test with a big paddle tail swimbait to see if there is a noticeable change in the swing left to right or up and down.

Keep those videos coming!!!

The funny thing is the swinging style jig wasn't designed for the purpose of keeping the fish from throwing it.  It was designed as a way to fish a soft plastic fast along the bottom  and have the deflection properties of a crankbait.  The idea is to use the amount of weight needed to keep the head in constant contact with the bottom while moving at a steady pace while allowing the bait to bounce and deflect freely . I know guys use them other ways but they really do work best when used like a crankbait, at least for me they do and the fact that the free swinging hook makes it harder for the fish to throw is just a bonus. 

• Like 3

Thanks Skimpy for doing what you do!

The experience and knowledge that you share via video combined with all the feed back from the membership truely advances all of our fishing and tackle making abilities.

Smalljaws explanation of the original intent by design makes sense. Would that also be the intent of the new do it  poison tail swing jig to be fished like a crankbait dragged along bottom?

Keep up the good work guys.

Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canuck said:

Thanks Skimpy for doing what you do!

The experience and knowledge that you share via video combined with all the feed back from the membership truely advances all of our fishing and tackle making abilities.

Smalljaws explanation of the original intent by design makes sense. Would that also be the intent of the new do it  poison tail swing jig to be fished like a crankbait dragged along bottom?

Keep up the good work guys.

Thanks.

Thanks !!

Skimpy thanks for another great video, and for the rich content you bring to TU.

I could see the hinge effect working with the swing jig.

This caused the bait to move further away from verticle than the fixed jig.

I imagine the swing jig would tend to articulate when fished with a twitching or jerking and paused retrive.

Any thoughts to add a small diameter split ring between the hook and jig head to give more action?

Too large of a diameter split ring can cause the hook to catch on the line. 

• Like 2

On 1/15/2017 at 10:21 AM, tc-lures said:

Good video, appreciate you doing this even when it's cold enough to see your breath.

good job

Yeah it was cold out for sure. My little space heater in the shed sure did help though !  Thanks for watching! 

17 hours ago, fshng2 said:

Skimpy thanks for another great video, and for the rich content you bring to TU.

I could see the hinge effect working with the swing jig.

This caused the bait to move further away from verticle than the fixed jig.

I imagine the swing jig would tend to articulate when fished with a twitching or jerking and paused retrive.

Any thoughts to add a small diameter split ring between the hook and jig head to give more action?

Too large of a diameter split ring can cause the hook to catch on the line. 

Haven't tried that.  But would have to either use 2 split rings or a vertical eye hook if only using 1 split ring.