stumpjumper16

Replicating a crank bait lip

Just wondering if by tracing an old crank bait lip from a lohr's baby Jerry crank bait lip if I could get a similar tight wiggle characteristic of the original bait; based upon similar lure dimensions. This particular bait has the line tie in very close proximity to the nose of the bait and dives to about ten feet. I don't use the bait anymore due to the fact it is one of only two lohr's baits that I own. Great fall crank bait when water gets cools in some North Carolina lakes.  I made two using a coffin lip and got a really wide wiggle; one other I made using a round lexan bill that was wider than the original and the bait had more of a wobble

what wood will you be using? If it balsa I would think it would be different than the cedar or foam depending on which one you have. If it is cedar and weighted and sealed and painted in the same way you may get close to the original. Skeeter may know as I sure he has done similar tests.

Jeff

RiverValleyCrankbaits

I know Lohr switched to foam for his later baits. Assuming dimensions are the same, you could look at lip angle, a shallower angle tends to decrease wobble.

Does your version dive to the same depth as the Lohr?

You could try a bit more weight, lower in the body.

lastly, is your version more rounded  over on the top and bottom? If you just kind of knock down the edges, rather than round over it will tend to want to wiggle more than wobble.

Jeff was right though, the material makes a difference as well.  Did you compare the overall weight between versions?

clemmy

Edited by clemmy
Spelling

I always found it hard to trace a lip form from an original, so switched to taking very detailed measurements and replicating the form with a freeware CAD program on my computer.  If you're careful you get a symmetrical lip template you can trust to be more accurate.  Then you have to worry about how accurately you can make the body of the lure in terms of shape, size, material used, overall weight, and how the original is  balanced by the ballast location and amount.  You need to be pretty finnacky to get all this right and end up with a lure that behaves like the original.  Small differences mean a lot when copying a lure.  Getting the original X-rayed never hurts.  Fortunately, the vast majority of custom wood baits use a simple ballasting scheme that is easy to reproduce.  Barring all this exactitude, you can sometimes get a similar performance by copying the shape, overall weight, and lip design of an original.  Sometimes.

• Like 2