Fatman

SAJ-4-A DO IT SLIDE ALONG JIG

Doug,

I have a mold that takes the 1623 hook as well. There are no comparable hooks for your mold and or the mold I have. They will be Eagle Claw Bronze hooks and they are of the Aberdeen type. They will bend easily, however you can just as easily bend them back. I can tell you this about the 1623 hooks. Do not buy just the 1623 hooks. Buy the hooks that say 1623 CR. The CR stands for a crimped hook and is only available from Do-It Molds. Reason being is if you buy the plain 1623 hook, the hook will spin inside the head once it is poured making the jig useless. The 1623 CR hook has a crimp in the body. The crimp will keep the hook from spinning around. I will try to find a pic and post the difference.

1 hour ago, Fatman said:

Thanks Gas for posting the info

I read about the mold on here and it's the first time I ever saw one for sale - so picked it up. 

Last year April 26 I posted a picture looking for info on a jig a guy made, turned out to be the slider jig,A member from Cal.said he had one he would sell me .

19 hours ago, gaspumper said:

I have poured a few hundred with the standard 1623 hook and non has ever spun on me. Here is the 1/2 oz. ones.

Well I'm surprised that they didn't turn.  Maybe the paint is stopping, that from happening. Couple of years ago I started using the regular non crimped hooks on the stand up jigs, and my customer returned the jigs to me, because the hook shank was turning in the lead. Now mine were not painted.  When I got them back from my customer, sure enough the hooks were loose inside, so I went with the crimped hooks from that point on. BTW nice looking jigs.

If you need to make some non crimped hooks work, you could try wrapping a small amount of wire on the shank in the same way you would lay a bed of thread for tying. Make sure wire is good and tight and crisscrossing, and only where lead will be.  Just a suggestion as I have not used that mold. Hope  this helps.

2 hours ago, cadman said:

Mark,

That would have been my first thought, however I pour these dead soft lead.

I just wonder if soft lead is too soft for these jigs?   I have no idea if they can be poured in harder lead.

I've had the wire in the head of spinnerbaits become lose, and those seemed to be from very soft lead, too.

Edited by mark poulson