Otalldon

New at pouring plastics

Hi, I am about to step out and start pouring.  Do not have anyone to show me, so I've been researching to get comfortable before I start.  One question I have is do any of Calhoun's plastisols come already as a floating mix.  I look for information in descriptions, but never able to find out enough info to feel comfortable to commit to buy this plastisol or the next... frustrating.  Appreciate you guys feedback..

There is NO SUCH THING as a floating plastic, only thing the manufacturers can do is adjust the density of the plasticizer (less dense plasticizer makes the product more buoyant but makes the cost of the plastic sky rocket) and the only thing you can do is add the microspheres to make it float (this explanation came from 3 different plastic manufacturers, only one went into the plasticizer density and the cost differences to make it more buoyant almost made me shoot coffee out of my nose) 

The softer the plastic the more buoyant it  is as there is less resin in it, the harder the less buoyant it is as there is more resin in it. As long as you don't add a lot of additives like salt etc then your soft plastic should be plenty buoyant. 

I used Calhoun for a few years, went through quite a few drums of it. I found with a specific salt mix I could get a bait to be neutrally buoyant, meaning a drop shot bait would remain horizontal without floating up or sinking.............meaning the soft is buoyant. Using their medium and the same salt mix the claws on my craws would stay up in a vertical position in the test tank. 

Hope that helps answer your questions. 

• Like 2