jigginpig

Art resin prep

Is anyone warming their Art Resin before they mix it? I always gave Etex a warm bath by placing the containers (resin and hardener) into a tub of warm water for a few minutes before I measured and mixed them. I have been doing this with the Art Resin, and it has given me mixed results. A couple batches of baits came out spectacular, and a couple not so hot. I'm a little frustrated right now because I just pulled off some especially good (for me!) paint jobs, and when I top-coated with the Art Resin it was a PITA. It was pulling off areas I KNOW I coated, I did not touch the baits after painting, blah blah blah. Re-touching those spots was making matters worse by introducing bubbles. I might be able to do a bit of sanding and re-coat, but I put it on fairly thick in an effort to combat the fish-eye issue. Basically, I am a sad panda. 

Thoughts? 

SS

• Like 1

Thanks man. I am super bummed, the baits look like hell this morning. The Art Resin pulled back and globbed up. Ruined some good paint jobs at a minimum, and maybe ruined some old baits I have had for years and a couple no longer being made, depending on how much gouging/hacking is required to get that stuff back off. I may just have to wait till I have a shop space set up and go back to MCU, it can be a hassle but at least it never ruined any of my old faithfuls! I have swam for a couple of those baits. 

SS

• Like 1

Update... 

Just coated more baits with Art Resin. I DID NOT warm the Art Resin prior to mixing. I mixed and mixed and mixed. The Art Resin went on thinner, smoother, and more evenly. Bubbles came out easier, and so far it is not clumping or pulling away from areas like it did on the batch I warmed up. The baits are still on the turner, so something kooky might happen overnight, but it was SO much easier to apply. I have a good feeling it will turn out well. 

Also, a note... I experimentally coated some baits I roughly removed the factory paint from, and did not finish sand. I am talking a real hack-job. I did not paint them before applying the Art Resin. The Art Resin seems to have made a gorgeous smooth surface to paint on. One bait was an old bone colored plastic Rebel Deep Wee-R and it looks really nice... I think the Art Resin shows promise as a surface prep as well as a topcoat. I know the paint jobs will look very nice on that smooth surface, and I think I can pull off some really sneaky/ghosty/translucent artwork on them. I am a sucker for that "subliminal" stuff. 

SS

• Like 1