DoubleT

Large Musky Baits

I have recently decided to try my hand at making my own musky baits. The one that I am working on now is right at 19 inches long. It takes 12 ounces of plastic to fill my silicone mold. I am using saltwater formula plastic. The bait doesn't suspend like I hoped for after installing the harness and hooks. What I decided on was making a layered bait and the top layer (bottom layer in the mold) I added floating additive and then pour a different colored layer (without additive) on top of it. I attempted it a couple times but didn't have much luck. The problem that I am having is that my layers want to mix together. The bottom layer came up through the top layer on both attempts. Is it something that I am doing wrong? Is the floating additive causing it to come up through the other layer? Thanks for any info.

Wait about 30 seconds before the second color.  There's a fine line between mixing, laminate, and cold cracks.  Too fast and you'll get mixing together......like the problem you're having.  Too long and there will be "cracks" in the bait.  Sometimes so bad that the 2 layers will actually pull apart.  You've gotta find that happy medium.

Good luck!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, alsworms said:

Wait about 30 seconds before the second color.  There's a fine line between mixing, laminate, and cold cracks.  Too fast and you'll get mixing together......like the problem you're having.  Too long and there will be "cracks" in the bait.  Sometimes so bad that the 2 layers will actually pull apart.  You've gotta find that happy medium.

Good luck!

I think a giant bait like that, in a silicone mold will take a hell of a lot longer than 30 sec to firm up a bit wouldn't it? 

I waited for a little bit. The layer with the additive had actually skimmed over. When I started pouring the second layer I could see the first layer starting to bulge as I was making my way down the bait.  Then things went all to heck. The first layer starting mixing with the second layer. I guess the second layer being right much hotter possibly melted through to the plastic in the first layer that hadn't set yet. Maybe I should've given it a little more time. I also thought that I may have made my second layer pour to slow. Not sure. It definitely takes so time for a bait to setup in the mold. The mold took a little more than 6 pounds of silicone to make.  Thanks for the info. 

7 hours ago, DaveMc1 said:

I think a giant bait like that, in a silicone mold will take a hell of a lot longer than 30 sec to firm up a bit wouldn't it? 

Okay.....my bad.   Wait 30 minutes.  LOL 

I never made a bait that big.  The point is.........

Yes.....you have to wait a bit between colors.  The perfect amount of time is up to you depending on what you're trying to achieve.   This is something you'll have to play with until you get it right. 

Once again, good luck!

39 minutes ago, alsworms said:

Another good point.  And they will take longer with each pour as the molds get hotter. 

Not sure if this would be helpful, but in the past I've made a second mold slightly larger than the first. I made my layered bait then placed it in the second mold and poured clear cooked plastisol over it. Not sure if it's be enough to hold something that large together. Any thoughts?

11 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Spike-It makes a bond coat that might help you, so you don't have to pour the second layer while the first layer is still soft.

Next one I make I will let the first layer setup longer prior to pouring the second. Does anyone have experience with the bondcoat that  lureworks makes. Interesting how they claim that it will make the plastic adhere to the metal harness. That would be nice.  Might have to give it a try. 

21 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Spike-It makes a bond coat that might help you, so you don't have to pour the second layer while the first layer is still soft.

I can't get their site to load right now, but it's there.

Their new website is up and running. You might need to change your bookmark as I think the home address has changed slightly. Google search it then re-bookmark.

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 7:31 PM, mark poulson said:

I can't get their site to load right now, but it's there.

www.ispikeit.com/product/691/bondcoat-4849

• Like 1