MonteSS

Decal paper

I've been using Papilio for a while now and it works for me. You'll need to let the ink dry and then spray a "fixative" to protect the ink while applying the decal. The spray can be found at Papilio's website along with the decal paper.

papilio.com

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy
  • Like 2

if you use a laser jet printer you don't have to seal the paper but if it's just a ink jet use a high gloss lacquer and spray several LIGHT coats instead of one heavy coat . Trust me I learned the hard way!! I make several 100 of these a year and this is the best way I know how to do it. And a Good topcoat will bring out the colors!

Jeff

1386467064099.jpg

• Like 2

Not trying to cast any dispersions here...but does a decal come apart when  hook rash gets into the decal?  I've heard "this and that, one thing then another", on the subject so I'm curious.  The things look pretty awesome and I'd like to learn the process of using decals and airbrushing  them and sealing the decal so as to avoid problems later. 

Edited by Lurenerd
old age

It is tricky, but it can be done. The secret is to topcoat the lure with something other than Ranch Dressing. :mellow:

Seriously though, epoxy is pretty tough. You need to bang it up PLENTY to get down to whatever is underneath it. I guess it could happen, but it has never happened to me. 

Gorgeous bait there jwfflipper! Baits like that are what made me interesting in building lures in the first place!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, School Master said:

Anyone ever have issues with getting the decal to stick?

Just went and bought some "decal set" solution. Hoping that helps. Once I soak the decal and apply, I'm having all sorts of issues with wrinkles and the edges not adhering to the bait. 

depending on how big your bait is you can use small relief cuts along the edges to get the decal to lay down and don't wait to long to apply a clear coat to hold and seal the decal to the bait. I don't use decal set as I think it isn't necessary. And I let it air dry for about 15 minutes before I coat it. I don't use a hair dryer either to dry the decal. You will mess up a few before you get to where you will have it down pat, keep practicing. 

• Like 1

Ok so I got my decal paper today. Clear for Inkjet. Images printed awesome on it. I applied two light coats of Rustoleum clear varnish and now am waiting for it to dry.

Painted blank white with Createx. I was just thinking. Do I need to clear or varnish the bait before putting the waterslide decal on? Or is the water based paint set enough to just slide it on. ty

6 hours ago, MonteSS said:

Ok so I got my decal paper today. Clear for Inkjet. Images printed awesome on it. I applied two light coats of Rustoleum clear varnish and now am waiting for it to dry.

Painted blank white with Createx. I was just thinking. Do I need to clear or varnish the bait before putting the waterslide decal on? Or is the water based paint set enough to just slide it on. ty

I wouldn't use varnish as it will start to turn a amber color over time.

Clear lacquer is best that I have found