ScottK91

Hey guys I'm new to the site but I've been reading a lot on hear and have gained a lot of knowledge. Right now all I make is jigs but I'm about to dive into the soft plastic game. I'm looking to spend about $400 on equipment ( molds, plastic, glitter, coloring,etc ) I'm leaving the microwave and Pyrex out of that budget btw I want to spend the $400 on things I would have to order. Would you recommend buying a starter kit and more molds, coloring, glitter, etc. or buy everything individually?  I'm open to open pour and injection. I would like to make 4" roboworm type baits, 3" & 4" stick baits, small swim baits (4" & under),  a craw type jig trailer, and 2 3/4" & 3" tubes (dipped or injected) . Also which plastic would you recommend for these type baits? Any help is greatly appreciated 

Thanks 

Scott

Edited by ScottK91

IMO starter kits are a waste of money.   I'd start with the individual molds, colors, glitters, etc. that YOU use.  Over time and as you get better, you will buy more molds.  It's the nature of the beast.   This hobby is VERY addictive!  lol

As for plastic, again it's personal preference.  You have a wide range of baits there........some that might require a more durable plastic.  Keep in mind the softer the plastic, the better the action, but your durability will suffer.   You might want to start with a medium and work from there. 

400 bucks is a fair price and you should be able to get a good start with that.  Just keep in mind that you WILL spend more!

Good luck :)

Thanks for the info als. That's kind of what I was thinking but wanted to hear what others had to say. What brand of plastic, colorant, and glitter would you recommend? I was looking at the bass tackle injectors. I like the locking nozzle on them. Any reviews on them? I know it is going be very addicting but to be able to get colors and baits that I can't get anywhere else and catching fish on a bait that I made will be priceless. 

New member her as well, but long time bait maker. I just got into the injection molding stuff though, but been doing hand pours for years, as well as lead, lead. plastics, and blades.

This past month when I decided not to attach a vise to our kitchen counters I stopped using the kitchen micro as well.

Went to Target, hoping to find a lower priced micro and found one there on sale for $39.00

700 watts. Fits a 16oz pyrex no problem. May take a few seconds more to heat the plastic.

Shop around you'll find a cheap micro.

2 hours ago, ScottK91 said:

Thanks for the info als. That's kind of what I was thinking but wanted to hear what others had to say. What brand of plastic, colorant, and glitter would you recommend? I was looking at the bass tackle injectors. I like the locking nozzle on them. Any reviews on them? I know it is going be very addicting but to be able to get colors and baits that I can't get anywhere else and catching fish on a bait that I made will be priceless. 

I never injected, so I can't help you there.  There are many members on here who do and are very good at it.  Hopefully, some will chime in. 

Things have changed quite a bit since I poured.  There are many more options now.........many that I never got a chance to try.  I used MF Super Soft plastic almost exclusively, and added softener, hardener, salt, etc as needed.   As for glitter and color, you will find that many companies vary.  Most of my colors and glitters came from Lure Craft, with a few MF products tossed in. 

I have heard nothing but good about companies like Bass Tackle and Bait Junky's, and I'm sure those are well worth checking out too. 

You will learn as you go, hopefully not like me: by mistake.  LOL

I stick with one supplier, because I'm just a hobby pourer, so there's not a huge difference in prices in the quantities I buy.  People who make baits commercially will have different experiences, since they buy in quantity, and have specific needs for different products they make and sell.

I picked Bait Junky's because Leonard has always been very helpful, his prices are fair, and his colors and glitter don't change or fade.