MonteSS

Scale Decals

I made up an image that prints about 8" x 10". It is a scale pattern for small cranks. If anyone is interested in the full size I can email  to file. 

I plan to print this on clear decal paper. I have not tried it yet but I think it should work.

scale-patternc.jpg

Edited by MonteSS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AZ Fisher said:

I watched a video where the guy taped a piece of rice paper to a piece of printer paper and then ran it through the printer.  I am going to try tissue the same way and see what happens.

It will work just fine AZ fisher. I've done it before.

You can also use one of those glue sticks that you rub on to adhere the paper together. Husky had a great tutorial about doing it this way, but unfortunately the pictures no longer show up. Seems like every time the site gets updated we lose more information.

Ben

cheapest tissue I have found was Walmart in the party supplies.  comes in different colors in the package as well as white but still only a few dollars if I remember.

I like 3M adhesive best. cut the tissue to the approximate size you need. hold it with some tweezers and spray the back of the print lightly ( tweezers helps keep it off your fingers.)  wipe down the spray nozzle to help keep it clear.

this was applied over a white primer coat.  then I painted it as usual.  see image below

ink jet printer. just tape the tissue paper onto a piece of printer paper.  look at the tissue paper, one side will be kind of shiny, print on the opposite side.

just paint over the scales.  I use brushes and rattle cans for my paint jobs. don't think air brush painting would be any different.

tissue paper with the the scales printed on it.

IMG_0003 (2).JPG

• Like 1

just using regular acrylic paints.  using a brush with VERY little paint on the brush, lightly brush leaving just the hint of color. that is called dry brushing. I will usually brush on a piece of white paper to wipe a lot of the paint from the brush until it is leaving just a hint of color before applying the color to the bait. repeated brush strokes will allow you to build the color.

when I do the back and belly of a bait I use rattle cans a lot and just mist the paint on. make a hanger from a paper clip and hang the bait from the line tie. then hold the bait at arms length and LIGHTLY spray. just short bursts so you can see the coverage.  takes some practice but not difficult.

now consider that a clear coat will make the details, in this case the scale pattern, stand out. in the picture I posted the scale pattern was to me too stark. I should have used a pearl white over it prior to doing the rest of the paint detailing. the pearl white lightly brushed on will soften the dark lines of the scale pattern without totally covering it.

remember that with brushes, easy does it. you can add paint, harder to take it off :o!

• Like 2