TRIPLE C CUSTOM LURES

what is the best airbrush?

Iwata Eclipse Custom Micron ~ Lists $799.99

You asked whats the best.

If your asking this question, your probably just starting out, so a good beginner airbrush will suit you better.

I can tell ya the group here will likely recommend you a Paasche VL [Double action] or a Badger Anthem (150) [Double action]. Both retail around $40 to $80 bucks.

A search here on "airbrush" will find you many questions & answers encountered by the group also.

Good luck.

that custom micron is a great gun for urethanes and very fine details, but not so good for water base paints in my opinion, even my Iwata HP-C isn't very good with them, and its got a lot larger tip. I currently use a Paashe like most here do. I thought about getting a larger nozzle and tip for my HP-C, but those two parts cost as much as a paashe VL so I'll stick with it for my lures and leave me HP-C for my auto art. The main thing to look for if your going to be spraying waterbased paints is to get something that has a decent tip size because of the higher viscosity. Some VL kits come with 3 different tip sizes so you can find which one suits you best. Even a larger tip will come down to a fine line, but will open up enough to spray white paint which is very thick.

Hi there,

i'm just new to this board and have a few questions along the same lines as this topic if you don't mind me asking

i'm just about to get into lure making and by hook or by crook got my hands on some of the tools i need to do the job, however i need help i've got a couple of airbrushes and a compressor ones a paasche bottom feed external mix brush and the other is a snap-on bf175ta dual action bottom feed air brush, i also have one of those small diaphram compressors,

what would the paasche external mix air brush be best used for i.e. spraying primers or laqueror is it ok for everything???

also the compressor do i need one of those water trap/pressure valve thingys or can i use it straight onto the airbrush???

this snap-on airbrush, i gave it to our apprentice to clean up and he lost abit of it, mainly the trigger i'm knackered if i can get one over here, does anyone know of snap-on in the states and an outlet where i might get a specific part??

tightlines john

what would the paasche external mix air brush be best used for i.e. spraying primers or laqueror is it ok for everything???

Ive never seen a "Snap-On" brush, but if its made by Snap-on tools, its probably worth getting a new trigger for, they make pretty good tools.

The Paasch you speak of is probably thier "H" model, a good single action airbrush. the only thing it lacks is the ability to control the spray pattern from the trigger, (must be done manually at the tip) but it can still serve you well if you use stencils.

If you invest in a dual action brush, definately save the Paasche H for your primer & basecoats, its a good gun.

I live in a humid part of the states so I swear by a water trap, if you need one, it will become evident on your paintjobs, especially if your spraying lacquers. A rather low cost part also.

Take care.

I have only had an airbrush for about a week so take my comments with that in mind. I bought a single action Paasche at the recommendation of Rich and am very happy with it. I find the adjustment at the tip to be ok for now and to be honest think there is enough stuff to worry about without adding in the "double action" option. The brush I have I am sure would do everything and more in the hands of someone that knows how to use it. Most of the hassles I have had are a result of the wrong viscosity with the paint. Now that I have somewhat figured this out the hassles have been cut by 75%.

Jed

www.bikinibaitcompany.com

hi there

thanks guys for your feedback, from last night have been told by snap-on that the triggers are no longer available which is a bit much as its a currently sold tool at $145 which is now fit for the bin, with out the trigger i'm strugling, think i'll try and jam a matchstick in it first before i bin it

as you say the single action brush will probably be enough to suss out before i get in depth to quick

riverman i clicked your link, some outstanding finishes on your lures if you can do them without an airbrush thats totally unreal, diffrent class mate

tightlines john

Heehee, my first set up was a $20 Paasche H hooked up to an airtank that I filled at the gas station...pathetically under-gunned for the work I needed. Now I have a Mac Tools Airbrush-Ultra compressor pushing my Iwata Custom Micron brush...as pathetically over-gunned as I could possibly get. :lol: For a beginner I recommend going for a happy medium with a strong compressor and solid dual action gun...I still recommend an Iwata because their teflon needles really make spraying anything worry free and clean up is just too easy. Good Luck, JIM