smalljaw

Anyone know of a good mad tom or stone cat mold?

Guys, I don't do plastic on a regular basis, in fact I haven't messed with it in over 2 years.  I'm looking into making a mad tom or stone cat for myself, I used the Case salted mad tom but they no longer make the color I used so I decided to get a mold and do them myself. The problem is I haven't been able to find a mold similar to it so I was hoping someone knows of a mold that would work as well as well. I'm not interested in making my own mold or buying a custom, I don't do it enough to justify the cost so I was hoping someone would know of a mold that would work.

My 2 cents.  I did not find the exact mold but after looking at the bait it looks like nothing more than a reaper or leach fused to a skirt.  One could buy the inject skirt mold and the leech or reaper and use a soldering iron with blade to fuse you some together.  Another option is the hand pours that LC sells.  Still need the inject skirts though.

I have put the skirts on the side of some other baits I make in the past.  Just never had a reaper or leach mold.  Enforcer baits have some reaper and leech molds as well. 

Thought I would pass it one. 

3 hours ago, Walking Dead said:

Wow!  Those are some great looking baits!  I love how the fins move in the slightest bit of water movement.

Are those from the mold link your shared?

Great job!  Are they hard to pour?

Edited by mark poulson

32 minutes ago, gone2long said:

Well not sure your going to find the mold your looking for but Winco's Custom Baits has the product your looking for spot on.

I had Chris Archer of Ultra-molds make these custom, 3"stone cattie injection molds years ago. This is not a sales advertisement,merely a post w/ pics to show you what can be made from a custom mold maker.

stone_cattie_colors.jpg

Thanks guys! Smallmouthaholic has what I need but too small, I need the bait to be 3.5" and there is good reason. The area that I use that bait in has a large number of stone cats and they run big,  if you catch live ones for bait if it is under 3.5" you won't get bit. It is the strangest thing, but we actually got minnow seines and spent a few hours collecting the stone cats and most were over 3.5" with a lot of 4.5" to 5" but 3.5" to 4" seems to be the norm. The Case mad tom worked well but the salted mad tom was a little larger and worked even better but not all the colors. I won a tournament from that spot many years ago, 3 fish limit and my 3 weighed 14.11, very close to a 5lb average for river smallmouth and they all came on that mad tom but I'm down to my last 3 and as I said, it isn't worth the cost of a custom because it is a bait that I only use in that one area. BTW, we have tried other baits from topwaters to flukes to tubes and nothing else really works and the reason is there are so many stone cats in the stretch of river, I never saw anything like it on any other river or stream and it is a small 1/2 mile stretch. So that is the background on why I was looking to make my own, it looks as if I'll have no choice but to do a POP or RTV mold, I hate doing it but I know how to, I was hoping to avoid the time and mess but I guess it can't be avoided, thanks again guys!!!

4 hours ago, smalljaw said:

Thanks guys! Smallmouthaholic has what I need but too small, I need the bait to be 3.5" and there is good reason. The area that I use that bait in has a large number of stone cats and they run big,  if you catch live ones for bait if it is under 3.5" you won't get bit. It is the strangest thing, but we actually got minnow seines and spent a few hours collecting the stone cats and most were over 3.5" with a lot of 4.5" to 5" but 3.5" to 4" seems to be the norm.

Thanks for the input. The 3" model sells very well.I'll talk to Chris about a 3.75" Stone cattie injection mold.He is sooooo busy it's ridiculous. I'm currently waiting 1-3 months for completed ,multi-cavity ,custom injection molds.

2 hours ago, smallmouthaholic said:

Thanks for the input. The 3" model sells very well.I'll talk to Chris about a 3.75" Stone cattie injection mold.He is sooooo busy it's ridiculous. I'm currently waiting 1-3 months for completed ,multi-cavity ,custom injection molds.

Smallmouthaholic, you already have the right color in that picture.  I have tried these in the Delaware River and have caught fish as well as in the Juniata and Shenandoah rivers,  but there is an area on the lower Susquehanna and I'll bet you've fished there.  There are a series of riffles that go into pools that run  3' to 5' deep in the Summer and stay that way even during low flows.  One of the things we noticed is the area doesn't hold small bass, it has a large number of Fall fish that will take the smaller offerings but use the 3.75" stone cat and only the bass hit it.  The 3.5" version works too but you still get an occasional Fall fish and you won't get as many bites as the larger model and that is strange as well. Your black/smoke laminate is the color and if you get that larger mold made I'd definitely get some without a doubt, it would be much easier than doing them myself since I'd have to get a mold made.