Hooked Solid

The Dreaded Overspray......

I did a search on the site for a discussion on overspray and came up with nothing,don't know if it's a taboo subject around here but it's my biggest problem.After trying a bunch of different options to curtail this problem,I still get alot of "Splatter" overspray most of the time when I shoot.

I'm using a VLS dual action brush,mostly with the #1 needle set-up,Shoot almost always with createx water based acrylic,my compressor is a small one that runs constant when turned on(don't know the pressure coming out).I figure with the dual action paasche, air pressure from the compressor wouldn't matter because you can control it a the brush.

I guess my question to everyone is what is the main reason that you get overspray?Is it directly related to air pressure,paints(too thick,too thin),is it the operater of the brush and I just need to practice more(been doing this as a hobbyist for 3 yrs or so).

Sometimes it's a cool look on some baits,but it's not cool on every bait,Please Help!

Many Thanks to all in advance for your replies...><>...HS

Paulie,

First out of the shoot I think you need to get a regulator for your compressor. You cannot regulate the pressure with a VL. You can only regulate the flow rate of air with it. I run 20 to 40 psi depending on what I shooting and what kind of paint I'm using. It will make a difference on your splatter and overspray. Viscosity of paint will also cause splatter and overspray. This is just something that you have to play with until you get it shooting just right. The trick is to get it thin enough to make a smooth feathered edge but not too thin to where it won't cover good. Water base paint are the hardest to do this with. I believe that water base paints have larger pigments in them which makes the splatter more visible. Try straining your paint thru a very fine filter. That will improve it also.A clean tip on the old airbrush is a must to prevent splatter.

I agree with Hughesy about the regulator. That is a must. You can get one at Lowes for about $24.00. This will allow you to adjust the pressure of the air that is released from the compressor. His point on a clean tip is right on the money also. Sometimes while spraying paint will dry on the tip of the needle. This is a good one for causing splatter. After the regulator, I would try to switch to a #3 tip and needle. I use this needle in my VL for all of my shooting. Adjusting the needle in or out of the tip can help also. Take the back cover off of the airbrush and learn to shoot with it off. This way you can adjust the needle, if needed, as you shoot. I don't shoot but one color of acrylic paint. Most of my painting is with water based latex house paints. I thin it with water until it drips off of the stir easily and consistantly. They say to thin it to the consistancy of milk, but that doesn't always work for all brands of paint. I do shoot the createx water based paints. I shoot them and other water based paints between 12 and 18 psi. If paint builds up on the tip, then I just back the needle into the gun and the clog will usually sit on the tip. Just take a toothpick and lightly take it off. Push the needle back up and continue shooting. I usually don't have this problem with lacquer paints. I use acetone to thin them with and it seems to keep things clear. Lacquers I shoot between 21 and 24 psi. As a general rule you thin lacquer at 3 to 1.

3 parts paint and 1 part thinner. If the lacquer shoots with a WET look then you about have it right. My experience has been that certain pearls and translucents do not need thinning. Createx, even though many of us use it doesn't need thinning. I find it kind of hard to shoot also. Of all of the painting questions that I get, createx is the one brand of paint I get asked about the most. Don't feel alone, there are many folks out there fighting the same problem that you are having with createx. Like Hughesy says, you just have to play with it.

Skeeter

Thanks a Ton guys!!

I have been straining my createx,needle is always clean and I'm very conscious of build-up on the tip.I use a q-tip with a little thinner to quick clean when I'm shooting.

So the only variable I haven't played with yet is the air.I'm picking up a compressor with a tank and regulator/filter and we'll see if this makes the difference...><>...HS