ravenlures

Thinning Epoxy

The only reason I thin epoxy is to make it brush on a little better, expel bubbles better, and extend the brushable time moderately.  I do that only with denatured alcohol by dipping my brush in it and shaking a few drops into the epoxy after mixing, then blending it in.   A little goes a long way.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BobP said:

The only reason I thin epoxy is to make it brush on a little better, expel bubbles better, and extend the brushable time moderately.  I do that only with denatured alcohol by dipping my brush in it and shaking a few drops into the epoxy after mixing, then blending it in.   A little goes a long way.

BobP is right, a little goes a long way.  I use plastic cups with measurements on them for the epoxy mix and an eyedropper for a few adding a few drops of denatured alcohol into the mix.    Stir thoroughly.   Also, I found that putting  a larger plastic cup upside down over the epoxy filled measuring cup and exhaling into the larger cup then letting the mix sit covered for a short time quickly gets rid of any bubbles from the stirring.  Works great and adds a little extra working time before the mix begins to harden. 

Several years ago I got a crazy idea and wanted to see if I could spray epoxy through an airbrush. You can imagine how much DA that was needed to thin the epoxy down so it was thin enough to spray with an airbrush. I don't have any scientific measuring equipment so doing any type of test to check the hardness of the epoxy after it cured was not an option, but as far as I could tell by touch it seemed to cure out just fine. Of course it took a good bit longer to cure, but it did cure and seemed to hold up as well as epoxy that had been brushed on.

This was a one time experiment just to see what would happen and since I didn't want to take a chance on having epoxy set up in the airbrush and ruin it this was never repeated.

Ben

• Like 1