porkmeatballs

New to making soft plastics

7 hours ago, porkmeatballs said:

Mark, would Baitjunkys still be a good choice if I decided to sell my baits later on?

Since I am just a hobby pourer, I really can't answer that question from personal experience.  If you decide to make a business of bait making, I think you'll wind up shopping around for both product and price.  Personally, if I found a material that I liked, I'd check the market to see what comparable materials in quantity are selling for, and then contact the supplier of the material  I like and haggle price with them.

There are also a lot of pourers on this site who pour in volume for sale, and I bet they could give you better advice than I.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, porkmeatballs said:

Well, I've already run into a road block here! I tried pouring my first bait (a small worm) just to experiment, and it came out extremely soft and kind of sticky. It kind of felt like those sticky hands that I used to play with as a kid... What should I do? I was thinking that I didn't microwave it enough. Any ideas?

How well did you mix the plastic before you poured?  Some brands separate really bad.  Look at your jug and see if there is hardener on the bottom of it. 

Did you mix the plastic up in the jug?with all plastic it settles a little bit and usually have to scrape the bottom of the jug that you got your plastic in to get all the solids back up in it if you don't you'll end up with tacky plastic and really really soft baits

3 hours ago, porkmeatballs said:

I guess I'll just experiment with the softener... Any ideas on how to keep the swimbait upright in the water? I put weight in the belly, but the lure sits on its side when it rests on the bottom.

I'd suggest you prep a cup of plastic at a time, so you can add stuff in easily measured amounts.  Adding a little heat stabilizer will let you reheat quite a few times.   Just a dribble, or it can yellow your plastic.  And keep records of what you do, so you can repeat it later.

I usually add 1/2 tsp/cup of softener, at the most, when I'm making senkos, but I use Baitjunkys' soft plastic to begin with and add both blast medium and salt.  

For swimbaits, I use Baitjunkys' medium with no softener.

• Like 1

Well guys, I figured out that the part leading up to the tail was way to thick, which hindered the swimming action... I tried plastisol with softener, but it just wouldn't swim. After I chopped some plastic away from that section, it swam pretty well. I guess i'll have to make a new mold with a skinnier tail.

While I'm working on that, can anyone tell me why there were huge indentations in my swimbait? It seemed like the plastisol pulled in on itself...

Get a temp gauge, it that simple. If you don't know what the temp is you are just guessing. And guessing will get you no where. The plastic you bought is different than most others in a way that it is thicker when at a temp that won't cause this problem.  My comments are from using plastic made for the soft bait industry. I deal with a manufacturer of plastic so if I want it to be thinner at a lower temp I can have this. Repackagers of plastic can't offer you this. Get an infrared temp gun and take the temp as you stir. This will help out more than you know.  

• Like 1

Keep the poured plastic in the mold a long time before you open the mold

While the hot plastic is in the clamped/rubber banded mold, it cools slowly

As soon as you open the mold, it will rapidly cool.  Rapid cool=more plastic shrinkage/pull back.

On a large bait, like a swimbait, you want to fully fill the cavity (a good indicator is when molten plastic drips out the vent hole(s) if you made some).  Then keep that mold closed for ten minutes so the plastic cools slowly.  No peeking!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, uttexas said:

Keep the poured plastic in the mold a long time before you open the mold

While the hot plastic is in the clamped/rubber banded mold, it cools slowly

As soon as you open the mold, it will rapidly cool.  Rapid cool=more plastic shrinkage/pull back.

On a large bait, like a swimbait, you want to fully fill the cavity (a good indicator is when molten plastic drips out the vent hole(s) if you made some).  Then keep that mold closed for ten minutes so the plastic cools slowly.  No peeking!

I wonder if making some kind of a cap to put over my open pour swimbait molds so they cool more slowly will cut down on the shrinkage?

• Like 1