MonteSS

Imaging

So here is how I am doing it. I figured I would stick with 1/2 oz Bill Lewis Rattle Traps to start since they are so cheap andthe sides are so flat.

I sanded down the raised eyes easily so they are totally flat. 

I scanned the bait so I knew the outline.

In Paint Shop I made a mask of where I wanted the outside of the decal to be.

I took the fish image from Google and modified (stretched) it to fit the outline mask better.

I used clone tool and removed the eyesDSCN0477.thumb.JPG.84f76e68e8425f1ca00071164a79317a.JPG

I took the cropped image and put it in Microsoft Word. Did a test black and white print to make sure sizing scale was right.

I put multiple images on one page as not to waste too much space.

Printed final edit in color on a Canon Ink jet on Photo paper setting and high quality. 

Then I applied two coats Rustoleum gloss varnish spray can.

Let dry and cut out image closely.

Painted lure with Createx white. 

Applied water slide decal and let dry.

This is where I am at now. I will blend the back and belly colors in, add eyes and clear with epoxy.

DSCN0474.JPG

• Like 4

Not too bad for a first try. Lil too much overspray on the black back and whole bait got kinda dark. I like the big 8mm eyes like the baby fish tend to have. I think I will put the decal a lil lower next time cause im not really sure how to blend the belly well.

DSCN0479.JPG.5bc8e1e464dd38268912f97acd627722.JPG

• Like 1

Not sure if pics are allowed here to go with the tutorial thread. Got my new colors today so was able to blend the back in better. Belly blending is still a work in progress. Gold peral over the image.

DSCN0481.JPG.4373ef97eb4233c43514f192a2f90126.JPG

Here i painted the blank back before applying decal. Much better. I had to order 10mm eyes and then clear. This blank has scales and alot of face/gill detail. I was surprised how well it layed down and into the scales.

DSCN0480.JPG

Edited by MonteSS
  • Like 3

On 2/3/2017 at 8:07 PM, MonteSS said:

First try on a more bulbous compound curve bait. The decals wrinkle on the edges a lil. Is there a better way? Does tissue paper work better for bodies like this?

DSCN0501.JPG.1276c242954b559bcd25251ed2c25811.JPG

MonteSS, this is husk's foil/ tissue technique. The hardest part was getting the image to fit so im curious how you made a shape and fit the image to it. If your careful and rub the wrinkles out of the foil it lays down nice. i used "mirror" to create a belly image which i applied. Tight lines

bluegill lure 3.JPG

Very nice Mountain. 

For the traps I scanned one and made a mask in Photoshop. For the crank I used the Trap pattern and it kinda fit.

I found the decals will stretch quite a bit so I might be able to wrap with less wrinkles.

Bet you have not seen a Peacock Bass pattern before :)

DSCN0511.JPG.2cc1b4c0c9621a7552ede856ca4a83cf.JPG

• Like 1