flocknocker1

Black crackle pattern?

I see some baits with this this pattern and am wondering how it is done.I would post a pic but really don't know how.It looks as if they paint their wanted pattern and then over shoot the whole bait to get a mottled apearance.The only way I can think of is to use a paint brush and flip the paint onto the bait?Any ideas?

The thing I haven't liked about crackle is trying to get both sides of the lure to crackle in a roughly similar way.  I think doing both sides simultaneously would probably give me a more uniform crackle pattern.  If you only do one side at  a time, minor differences in your application often have very different outcomes.  I gave up on it until I find a more uniform way to do it.

I agree with BobP about trying to keep the crackle uniform. Don't know if you guys have seen on Swimbait Underground, in the grass roots section, the is a post about a glide bait a gentleman made.  Killer crackle paint job, large cracks and fairly uniform all over a 7 inch bait, multiple colors.  Seems like opaque black is the topcoat that is cracking well for him. I tend to get small cracks that run the direction of the crackle medium brushstrokes. The maker has not eluded to how he acheived such a great crack job. Sorry, if I knew how to post a link I would, maybe someone more computer savy could help me out here. His pics would help this thread. I may have to try the glue approach.