BassBull

Randy Howell Shaky Head Mold Info

I prefer the shaky head models with a screw lock, they take an extra second of two to rig but the screw lock holds the worm better than any other method.  I don't have the Randy Howell model head for the reason you specified, they opted to go with the Gamakatsu 111, a way over priced bronze hook and the only black nickel hook I know that will fit is the VMC 7150 in a 3/0 and 4/0 and that is a deep throat style hook. I think Do-it missed the mark with that mold, so many other hooks and they went with the worst hook Gammakatsu makes.

• Like 1

Hello all, I see past questions and comments on the Randy Howell Shaky Head Jig. I agree with most who state above the disliking of the Gammy 111 hook. I too am looking at using the VMC 7150 hook. I see several who mentioned this as well, but then no further comments on results. On what other hooks you can use with this shaky head jig...Barlowltackle.com gives GREAT info. what I do is look at the "Main Hook" the mold uses, in this case the Gammy 111. The hook wire measurements is 3/0 = 0.045 up to 5/0 0.053. So now all you need to do is look at a hook and see if it's wire diameter is between 0.044 and 0.054 and you should be good to go.

So I would love any feed back on this combo of mold and hook. If someone would be willing to mail me one in 3/16 with a VMC 7150 hook I would gladly pay you postage.

Edited by Flathead Ed