DoubleT

Modifying A Silicone Mold

I have a silicone mold (AeroMarine 128) that I do open pours with. I want to modify the mold. In doing so I will need to put the slightly redesigned master back in the mold and add more silicone to it in order to make the changes. If I use a different brand silicone (Mold Max 30) do you think that I will have any problems with the two different types of silicone bonding to each other? Thanks

I've used Mold Max, but not the AeroMarine.

I'd do a little experiment.  

1.  Cut off a 5 cc corner or edge (far away from the pour hole/vents/cavities) from the AeroMarine mold

2.  Place it a very small 15-20cc tupperware container/cup (those tupperware containers for condiments might be a good example)

3.  Mix 5 cc total of the Mold Max (silicone+catalyst per mold max instructions)

4.  Pour the 5cc of Mold Max on top of the 5cc AeroMarine piece

5.  wait unti the Mold Max is fully cured

6.  examine how well they bonded

Edited by uttexas
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2017 at 9:35 AM, DoubleT said:

What was the difference in the hardness of the two silicones that you used? The two that I used were very close (28A to 32A). So far so good. I will keep an eye on it though. Thanks

Sorry, don't quite remember.   the mold making silicones I use are pretty hard 50 - 60.   Also I had one complete layer of one silicone on top of another.    A small amount may not matter.