basscat28

Making Lead belly weights

I want to start making my own lead belly weights for crankbaits. Does anyone make a mold for them? I didn't see one by do-it. I don't mind making my own,but rather than trial and error a bunch,does anyone have any help they want to lend? I'm sure making a mold out of wood is going to be the easiest.

I was  just experimenting with the same thing. Watched a Paul Adams video. And I replicated kinda what he did. Clamped two 2x4's together and used a Forstner bit to drill in the joint. Poured lead in the holes. Then unclamp and pop the little cylinders out. Worked pretty good. A hard wood might work better. A bit of the lead seeped out. I'm curious what other guys do as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stretcher66 said:

here is a tutorial by Lincoya in the member submitted tutorials.  its a great how to.  i made on of these and it works perfect...

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/23195-making-your-own-aluminum-mold-for-pouring-belly-weights/

After reading that tutorial,that seems like an awesome way of doing it. I might have to try doing this and be playing around with the weights. I want to make them for bass sized balsa baits so I'll be doing 1.5,2,2.5,3,and 3.5 gram weights probably.  Thanks for the share!

I have been using the Do-it 3/8 oz dropshot mold sinkers for belly weights. They are 1/4 inch in diameter and if you reem the hole just a hair larger they will slide right in.  I cut them into thirds, 1/8 oz each , and that centers my bait well.

7 hours ago, jonister said:

the Do-it dropshot mold can be re purposed. They make nice little inserts

Lure Parts Online sells belly weights with a hook hanger.  They work really well for me.

I use mostly the 2 and 3 gram, but I bought the 5 gram, too, because they are still 1/4" diameter, and I shorten them to get between 3 and 5 grams.  They are a harder lead alloy, so I score them deeply with a drywall knife, and then use diagonal pliers to cut them.   Because they are a harder lead, they snap off with a square end, instead of pinching with a point.

I'm buying bar stock tomorrow and making the mold tomorrow night. Bought some stainless steel mechanics wire from harbor freight (sold in .99 rolls) look so to be .35 size wire...will this do? I don't want anything to be weak and break? What do you guys usually us for wire? Thanks again guys! You've been a huge help