Patriots77

How do i Get my paint To stick?

11 hours ago, Patriots77 said:

I use powder paint to paint my jigs. But after a few casts in a rocky area the paint seems to come right off. I've tried cooking them longer, shorter, more paint, ext but I get the same outcome. 

Something doesn't sound right.  I have powder painted jigs that last years fishing them on a rocky bottom.  The paint may scratch, but has never chipped off.

It may chip off after awhile but not just a few casts. First thing, what temp are you curing at and for how long? The next thing, how sure are you that the oven temp is correct? If using a toaster oven, they are notorious for not being accurate, when I checked my oven with an oven thermometer the dial is at 385 to get the oven to 354 degrees.  I cure my heads at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, then add on the 3 minutes the oven takes to get to temperature, then add another 3 to 5 minutes, depending on how many jigs and what size they are,  for the jigs to reach temp and that is when my time starts. So when I put my jigs in the oven, it is 21 to 24 minutes, after they cool I can take one and throw it against the concrete floor in my shop and it won't crack or chip, but after a couple trips dragging on rocks it will wear some of it away but it takes time.

I noticed that on a few jigheads I did the other day, the powder paint was not sticking in some small spots.  I figured that when I handed the jigheads, some oil from my skin got on the heads and kept the powder paint from sticking.  On the last batch, I used acetone to wipe down the jigheads before painting them and that seemed to solve the problem.