Nunnable

Transparent white!!!

I just recently acquired some iridescent paints from createx absolutely love them. I was practicing with the paints on different base colors and then i deccides to try a pattern called moonglow a white bait with an iridescent blue hue. My white keeps hiding the affect and i have it reduced 3.3 : 1 and shooting it at 10 to 8 psi. Should I thin the paint more or reduce the psi more? Or perhapes im just doin it wrong. Any help will be apreciated thank you.

3 minutes ago, BobP said:

I'm  not clear about your technique.  In what sequence do you apply the different paints?  I generally shoot iridescent paint as the last coating.

Ok so i spray my base coat, then my iridescent electric blue, then white. I just tried to spray elctric blue heavily thined and at a low psi over the white but its changing the white color blue. I wish i had the crankbait with me but unfortunately it's a freind a mine. But its a crank with a white body chartreuse back and through the white is an electric blue glow.

What are you using to "thin" the white paint? There is a big difference between thinning it (changing the viscosity) and making it transparent. (changing the opacity) 

To make Createx paint more transparent you need to add their transparent base to the paint. Adding transparent base doesn't change the thickness (viscosity) of the paint, but it does change the opacity. If after doing this you need to reduce the paint (make it thinner) you can add their 4011 reducer after adding the transparent base.

Ben

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, RayburnGuy said:

What are you using to "thin" the white paint? There is a big difference between thinning it (changing the viscosity) and making it transparent. (changing the opacity) 

To make Createx paint more transparent you need to add their transparent base to the paint. Adding transparent base doesn't change the thickness (viscosity) of the paint, but it does change the opacity. If after doing this you need to reduce the paint (make it thinner) you can add their 4011 reducer after adding the transparent base.

Ben

Thank you I've been using my illustration base to thin my paints to shoot easier and I just assumed it also made it more transparent but I will try the transparent base too. I've actually discovered the affect im looking for is archived through the clear coat, now I just need to find the additive to the clear or product that gives me that affect.

why not just shoot the iridecent over white? ( nothing thinned) then clear coat.  be sure your layers of paint are dry from heat setting them with a heat gun or blow dryer after each coat.  should not have any problems with  colors changing if you spray light coats.   remember with airbrushing that "less is more"

Edited by stretcher66
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stretcher66 said:

why not just shoot the iridecent over white? ( nothing thinned) then clear coat.  be sure your layers of paint are dry from heat setting them with a heat gun or blow dryer after each coat.  should not have any problems with  colors changing if you spray light coats.   remember with airbrushing that "less is more"

I've tried that, and its picking to much of the color. I've figured out the issue its not the paint but the clear coat. Thank you for taking the time to help though really, thank all of you.

Here's What I Use To Get That Effect Your Looking For: Comes In Blue , Red and Purple

FASCHANGE colors add shimmering metallic highlights as you view it from different angles. This type of paint appears clear in the bottle (shake and stir thoroughly before spraying). Spray on one thin coat with even coverage. If this type of paint is backed with WHITE or PEARL WHITE you will get a brilliant white appearance with fine metallic highlights of the color that changes as you view it from different angles. 

s-l500.jpg.1cbeb894c6f4dae7a1aeb4955cadad7e.jpg

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, MikePaintsBaits said:

Here's What I Use To Get That Effect Your Looking For: Comes In Blue , Red and Purple

FASCHANGE colors add shimmering metallic highlights as you view it from different angles. This type of paint appears clear in the bottle (shake and stir thoroughly before spraying). Spray on one thin coat with even coverage. If this type of paint is backed with WHITE or PEARL WHITE you will get a brilliant white appearance with fine metallic highlights of the color that changes as you view it from different angles. 

s-l500.jpg.1cbeb894c6f4dae7a1aeb4955cadad7e.jpg

Thank you so much

This lure right here had that affect you can't really see it through the picture but if you held it in your hand you would see what in taking about its a Bass Pro Shops XPS Floating Minnow that blue hue you see on the back is all over the bait but dosent change the color of the yellow, white,  at all clearly over colors. Really awesome looking

11083005011530_is.jpg

Edited by Nunnable

Polytranspar makes a water based Blue Shimmer

4 hours ago, Hughesy said:

Nunnable

I designed that color for Bass Pro Shops. It goes like this. 1. cover white entire lure. 2. chrome pearlescent entire lure. 3. scale back with black. 4.Chartreuse stripe 5. cover entire lure with blue glimmer. 5. Black dot. I shoot lacquer so you will have to find these paints in water base . I'm sure the blue glimmer is made in water base. It turns the black back blue, but just puts a blue sheen on the rest of the lure.

• Like 2