sdsaw

Original Hot Pot to Hot Pot II Conversion

Has anyone converted their original Hot Pot (heating coil in with the lead) to the replacement Hot Pot II heating coil  which is mounted to the bottom of the cast iron pot?

I am capable of adding new holes to the cast iron pot if needed.

Also wondering how the ring that surrounds  the bottom coil is attached?

Here are some pictures for measurement comparison.

P1060156.jpg

P1060155.jpg

P1060154.jpg

P1060158.jpg

P1060157.jpg

When my old Hot Pot's element finally went (it was about the 3rd element I went through), I just bought a new style Hot Pot.  The one thing I have had problems with are the feet, on the little stand the hot pot sits on, drying out and flaking apart.  I fiddled around and rigged some that work, rather than having to buy a whole new stand.

Well, it turns out that the old element is fine.  It was just a broken wire where it attaches to one connection on the element.

In the process of fixing the element on my Hot Pot II, I discovered how the cover for the element is attached.  The entire pot is molded with a big nipple on the bottom and a hole is drilled through the middle and then threaded to accept a screw.  I don't think you can modify an old style Hot Pot to accept the element and cover for a Hot Pot II.

On 2/5/2017 at 0:37 PM, Jeff Hahn said:

You had to say something!  My Hot Pot II has been working great for years.  I poured some lead this afternoon and the element crapped out!  Thanks!  ;)LOL!!!  At least I was smart enough to order a spare element when I bought it.

Sorry! lol

I too had gone through 2 or 3 elements on my original Hot Pot which I still have.

I was asking about the conversion to save a few $

Purchasing a Hot Pot 2 is a little more than just an element, but not that much more.

Thank you for the reply and happy pouring!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2017 at 8:48 PM, Jeff Hahn said:

In the process of fixing the element on my Hot Pot II, I discovered how the cover for the element is attached.  The entire pot is molded with a big nipple on the bottom and a hole is drilled through the middle and then threaded to accept a screw.  I don't think you can modify an old style Hot Pot to accept the element and cover for a Hot Pot II.

Jeff Hahn, I can add a post to my Hot Pot ...;)

But I need to know how to attach the cord and element together. An  insulator board? I know that it will need to able to stand up to high temps.

Can you post a pic with the cover off and showing the connection?

The power cord is connected to the element on the HOT POT II exactly like on the original.  Crimped connectors are on the ends of each wire and they are attached to the screws on the end of each post of the heating element.  No, I don't see any way that you can add a post to the bottom of the pot so that you can convert your original to a II version.  The post/nipple is cast as part of the pot itself.

Oh, I'll be able to add some kind of block or nipple under the lid (machinist)

Thinking it will be bolted to the bottom of the pocket in between the two element holes that will be added to allow the element to pass through from the bottom since they used to pass through the top front.

Did the nipple clamp/support the ends of the element?

P1060162.jpg