MrPokey

How do ya'll add rattles to your jigs?

When you  make a jig and wire tie it, how do you add a rattle?  I've seen a few different idea's, but none I particularity like, and looking for a better way.  Is there a good looking way to wire them on, without looking tacky and taking away from the jig?

Edited by MrPokey

If you use 26 or 24 gauge wire then you shouldn't have a problem with my method. I cut the wire a inch longer than normal and wire tie the skirt in the usual way.  Once I get to the end and finish the wire twist, instead of trimming the wire and folding it over, I wrap the excess wire around the rattle until the rattle is firmly against the jig, if there is any wire sticking out I trim it off but I've done it so many times I can eye ball how much wire I need so little to no trim needed.

Depending on the head, you can use a collared band and slip it over the place you wire tied the skirt on.  Or place the skirt inside the rattle band, slip it on like a conventional jig and then wire tie the skirt with the rattle.  Some of the jig molds I have there is a place to slip a rattle band in behind the skirt that I've wire tied.  On a banana head, you can slip the rattle band on first and then add the skirt behind it before wire tying the skirt. 

And that's just options for rattles on a band.  There are a few different rattle options out there.  Depends on what you are using.

I tie all my jigs with thread. But I still use the rattle band collars as a base. I put the rattle bands on first. Tie my skirts with thread. And you have the rubber loops to hook rattles on. All my jigs go in the box with no rattles and I only add out on the water as needed. You also can get interesting levels of flair depending how tight you tie the thread. Jigs don't last me long enough. Never had a skirt fall apart. 

I use the buckshot rattles (BRS on this page)  http://www.landbigfish.com/Northland/Northland-Tackle-Buck-Shot-Rattles

I slip the hook point through them and push the around until they are tight up under the jig head, and then add my trailer, which holds them in place.  That way, I can take them off  if the water's clear and the fish are spooky,  and reuse them next time, if the water's dirty.