jonister

I killed my KBS

Generally speaking, finishes with solvents shouldn't be heated, because it only speeds up the off gassing of the solvent, which makes it set up faster.

I've kept a dip jar of AC1315 for several years now in a cool garage, and it's still good.

I do heat Solarez and the separate parts of two part epoxies to get them to flow better when they're cold, but I don't heat the epoxy once it's mixed because that speeds up the setting process, too.

I haven't tried KBS yet, but I've heard nothing but good stuff about it.  Maybe you had an air leak in the jar seal that caused it to go off like that.  

I had thinned it with zylene. A couple times. I didn't stick it in the heat box until it really started to go off. It got to the point of having to take off the 1/2" layer of stuff on top that had gone off. I might get another can. Well see. I guess I had it for around 8 months. It was awesome until it started to go off. Maybe I shouldn't be letting the drips go back in the can? I started to get little shards of thick stuff too. 

No drips back into the jar, Open jar for as little as possible and the least amount of times... 10 baits, Do them all at once instead of 1  each day for 10 days.  Your jar seal may have not been good.... But 8 months aint too bad to me... Maybe you need to tap the can and brush it on...

Mark the last can I had did smell, but it smelled more like fiberglass to me. Like you say, not nearly as bad as AC1315. 

Stumpjumper, I got mine to last something like 8 months. I know if I did a lot more lures I would have got through that and it would have been more justifiable. 

If you never open the can, It will last almost forever. If you open the can every day, You might get a few months...  Shelf life is relative.  Having a good seal on the container is key as well. I use a mason jar with a clean lip. If I feel it is not sealing good, I pour into a new mason jar.  I have used many different clears and KBS is the best I have used and really have no reason to try anything else.