bullettman

do-it 5" Senko mold finish isn't very good

Is it the CNC or sand casted mold?  If it is the CNC you shouldn't be having any issues with shine unless you're not cooking your plastic to 350 degrees to fully convert it which can lead to cloudy and tacky feeling plastic. 

The sand casted mold will not give you the very shiny appearance that a CNC mold will.  You can modify it using high temp engine paint.  There are several threads on this site detailing how this is accomplished. 

In the video he masks off the mold area. I couldn't be bothered. We're talking a layer of paint a couple of microns thick.

I also used clear engine paint. Makes it hard to see where you painted.  Using color might be better.

There are also other auto paints that can handle higher temps. 

After about 4 coats, I scuff the flat areas lightly with sandpaper to remove those couple of excess microns.

I've made a couple hundred without having to recoat. 

My senkos come out super shiny. I also have the CNC mold, and I hate to say it, but at times it seems the essential mold works better.

But what a difference in quality of the molds.

• Like 2