chasn_steels

ICE ROD BUILD

Hey guys,

I am planning to build a few ice rods this off season, and was wondering if you (members) were able to give me some pointers and feed back. I am really considering the extreme taper fiber glass blanks from sportsman's direct. I have a few of the TUCR's, and I really do enjoy using them. However, the rods are costly and I think it would be more gratifying if I started building a few of my own. From what the website (sportsmandirect) indicates, these fiber glass blanks are similar to TUCR's bull whip or noodle. The site also has another blank that I am interested in, that blank is identified as the extreme taper carbon. Is it safe to assume that these blanks are similar to TUCR's quick-tip and bull whip rods? I don't know, but it's worth looking into. Has anyone purchased these blanks? If so, what are your experiences and how does the blanks perform?

Besides watching videos on building ice rods, what else should I take into consideration? This will be my first time, and I really want to start off right. What's a good setup to purchase to start rod building? What's a good brand to stick with that won't give me headaches down the road. Lastly, what type of paint is used to paint the tip of blanks if you're trying to achieve a noodle style rod? Any information will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.

To me, you can build two types of ice rods.

1) Ones people will buy.

2) Ones that actually work well.

LOL, I made several about 10 years ago and would never make an ice rod out of carbon.  Solid glass for me.  But, no one liked them, UNTIL THEY fished with them.  Have not ice fished in years and gave my rods to my son, but......

Well worth your effort in my opinion.