scoop10

wood

I've been playing around with lure making for a couple of months now, and have used both cedar bought at Lowe's and basswood that I ordered and bought from local hobby shops.

A custom lure painter many of you know has advised me that untreated cedar will create problems.

Looking for thoughts and suggestions. Do I need to use kiln-dried cedar? If so, where is a good source? Does anyone here treat their own wood? Also, where is a good source to buy basswood in bulk?

I believe what the guy was talking about was white cedar. This is what Poes made their lures out of. I don't know about all cedar but white cedar has an oil to it. ( The oil is said to be toxic ). Kiln drying removes the majority of this oil from the wood. This is what caused the Poes cracking problem years ago. After the company was sold the new owners ordered cedar. It was not kiln dried. They made the baits and painted them. Over the course of a year the oil started to rise up out of the wood and caused the paint and some clearcoat to crack. Some really looked like a spider web. You can still find these baits around. Anyway, Coley is right about the fence cedar. Stay away from it. I have read that you can soak the cedar in mineral spirits for about an hour or so and it will remove the oil. I have been told that you can see the oil on the bottom after soaking. However, they also said that it makes the wood extremely hard. It is a problem working with the wood after this type of treatment. Most board lumber from lumber yards or companies is kiln dried. If you deal with a saw mill, then the wood has probably not been kiln dried.

Skeeter

:pissed: Jerry wear a dust respirator every day. over time we become sensitized to different woods as we are exposed to them. You really need to be concerned about the fine dust that you can barely see in the air :!: . This stuff will clog your lungs or cause scar tissue to grow over time. It happens slowly enough that you don't notice until it's to late. :(