fishnart

Dry spots on baits

Long time no see Fishnart. 

I handle my baits all the time and never have issues with fish eyes in either the paint or epoxy. The trick is to wash your hands in HOT (the hotter the better :o) water and Dawn dish washing liquid. 

I hate wearing rubber gloves because I sweat so bad that it's not long before it feels as if my hand is stuck up a grease monsters rear end. Washing in hot water and Dawn solves the problem of fish eyes for me.

Ben

I watched a program on factory auto painting and they check workers for any silicone contamination before they put on their space suits to enter the paint shop.  Seems a lot of every day products like shampoo contain silicone which causes fisheyes in auto paint.  Here on TU we read a lot about skin oils, syringe silicone contamination.   You can't really SEE this kind of problem so all you can do is try to minimize the chance that it will affect your epoxy topcoat.  I use Devcon Two Ton and apply it pretty thickly on my baits.  I think thicker coats tend to develop fisheyes more rarely.  But none of us can really say definitively what caused a fisheye.

• Like 1

I don't touch bait very much,  if any once I start sealing and forward in the process. If I'm moving the bait around I use micro clamps on the bill or clamp to the tow eye. I have gotten use to it so it's no hassle. I take the bait to a tree that I made to hold the baits in a vertical position till I want to work on it again or it has dried.  I release the clamp once hooked on the tree.

Talking about contamination, all humans secrets oils from our glands and other contaminate fluids no matter if we wash our hands. The moment we finish washing the sercretion starts to build up again. Just a thought.

I'm like Ben, if I don't need to wear gloves, I ain't. :D

Dale