sdfd29

Powder coating small jigs

I do not like to hang jigs in the toaster oven to cure the powder paint. I tried to make a holder out of 3/4 inch aluminum angle, but the jigs would slip around as I was trying to tighten the two thumb screws to hold them in place. Today I had an idea to add magnetic strips to the aluminum angle. It worked really well with the 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 jig heads ( I have not tried it with the bigger heads yet). I used magnetic strips that are used to hold up posters on display boards. They are peel and strip, but I used high temperature RTV (from Lowes in the grill section) to hold the magnetics on the aluminum. In the picture the jig heads are being held in place by the magnetics and the thumb screws have not been tightened.

Thought some others may be interested

IMG_1609[492].JPG

• Like 3

I recently sat with a fellow who pours jigs and powder paints them for the local tackle store and after watching him I have stopped baking mine at all.  I use a heat gun to heat the jig, dip it in the fluid bed and then take it back to the heat gun for just a second or two to smooth any dull spots.  After cooling a 3 foot drop test onto concrete did not chip the PP on jigs up to 1/8th ounce.  Going to 6 foot did chip the 1/8th ounce every so often, but any thing smaller down to 1/64th survived even that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clint in KY said:

I recently sat with a fellow who pours jigs and powder paints them for the local tackle store and after watching him I have stopped baking mine at all.  I use a heat gun to heat the jig, dip it in the fluid bed and then take it back to the heat gun for just a second or two to smooth any dull spots.  After cooling a 3 foot drop test onto concrete did not chip the PP on jigs up to 1/8th ounce.  Going to 6 foot did chip the 1/8th ounce every so often, but any thing smaller down to 1/64th survived even that. 

Do whatever makes you happy.

As for me i'll always bake mine. And i'll never buy a jig I know is not cured properly.NEVER!

I got into making my own jigs after breaking several store bought jigs of inferior quality. Man they caught fish but they didn't hold up.

But mine do hold up.My customers really like that aspect of my powder paint.

My custom jigs =quality.

I don't mean to rag on you personally but there's a reason we make our own custom jigs and better quality is one big part of that.

Does this other fellow sell his jigs for the same price as others who cure their jigs?

I sell mine for more than the made in China jigs. And people are happy to pay it.

Because they're better than those Chinesium jigs.

Like I said do what you like but don't claim they're better than or equal to mine,because they're not.

Properly cured powder paint = better quality than those that are not cured.

No denying that.

But hey use what works for you and makes you happy.

• Like 1

I don't sell my jigs so the only person I have to satisfy is myself.  I will loose a jig long before I knock any PP off baked or not.  And as far as " Properly cured powder paint = better quality than those that are not cured. " what difference does it make when both will catch fish, other than baking takes more time, money (electricity cost) and bother than not baking them.

I have to agree with Kasilofchrisn,  custom baked PP jigs = Quality.

Baking PP is what the manufacturer requires for the best end product.

Another way I have found to eliminate cone heads.   Use a modified paper clip to hang jigs on rack by hook eye and attach a 1/4" nut from hook point for weight. This keeps jig head pointed up so any drips will be at the tail where they don't matter.

Modified Paperclip: Shape/ cut like an S.

Edited by fshng2

I use bar magnets that you can  hang  your tools on, You have to watch out which ones you buy. Some will advertise that they are strong  but won't even hold a screw driver , with out it falling off. You can buy them 12 inches to 36 inch, they are great for holding jigs after you powder paint them.  It would be better if I didn't have to remove them from the magnet ,just slide magnet and  all in the oven but, even the 12 inch one will not fit in my oven. If you get the really strong magnets they are really handy for hanging jigs on. I also hang crankbaits , spinnerbaits and buzzbaits on them. They really come in handy.

3 hours ago, Saugerman said:

I use bar magnets that you can  hang  your tools on, You have to watch out which ones you buy. Some will advertise that they are strong  but won't even hold a screw driver , with out it falling off. You can buy them 12 inches to 36 inch, they are great for holding jigs after you powder paint them.  It would be better if I didn't have to remove them from the magnet ,just slide magnet and  all in the oven but, even the 12 inch one will not fit in my oven. If you get the really strong magnets they are really handy for hanging jigs on. I also hang crankbaits , spinnerbaits and buzzbaits on them. They really come in handy.

I'm willing to bet a local machine shop could cut one down to whatever length you need for not much money.

Or get a bigger oven.lol

On 3/9/2017 at 10:35 AM, Clint in KY said:

I don't sell my jigs so the only person I have to satisfy is myself.  I will loose a jig long before I knock any PP off baked or not.  And as far as " Properly cured powder paint = better quality than those that are not cured. " what difference does it make when both will catch fish, other than baking takes more time, money (electricity cost) and bother than not baking them.

Well first off let me say that the reason I got into jig/Tackle making in the first place was to find a way to make a better quality jig.

I was buying these jigs from a local tackle shop and they just wouldn't hold up. I broke several of those saltwater jigs and at $18 a pop I wasn't happy.

But the ones I build hold up and work great.

So a key aspect for me is the pride I have in making the best jig I can make. And the best jigs have properly cured powder paint. 

I guess for me it is the pride I have knowing I put my best effort into it. I'll know I didn't do the best I could and that would bother me.

Also If the paint on one ever did fail and the jig was working well I would not want to be wishing I had cured that killer jig that now isn't catching as well because the paint is flaking off.

Like I said when I buy tackle I don't buy whats cheap I buy what works and is of good quality.

I don't buy jigs that have paint in the line tie eye. Not ever going to happen no matter how well that jig works for others.

Same for other issues of quality like uncured powder paint. If I knew jig  A was Cured and jig B was not I would everything else being equal I would pay the higher price for A every time. Knowing that whoever made that jig put more time and effort into making their product better. They showed that they cared about quality.

Besides It really isn't that much more in cost or hassle. Especially since I make so many large saltwater jigs that MUST be cured to hold up for more than a couple hours. SO I have the jig racks and toaster oven anyway so why not cure my small jigs as well?

I guess I  just put more pride into my tackle making and that makes me happy knowing that.

Like I said use what works for you and what makes you happy.

• Like 1