Jeff Hahn

Remelting a jig that has been pwoder coated

I made a few jigs awhile back and powder coated them.  I don't use those jigs and wanted to make a different style jig using those hooks, as  I don't currently have any more of the hooks in that size.  Can I just submerse the old jigs that have been powder coated into my Hot Pot and  melt off the paint and lead.  I assume this will stink and smoke, but will it work OK?

10 hours ago, dpalinsk said:

Is there a particular paint stripper that works best for powder paint?

David

I have not tried it, but someone over on BBC said to sit the jigs in acetone for a while and the powder paint would come right off.  I know that acetone works great on removing fingernail polish from jigs, but I don't know if it works on powder paint or not.

On 2/12/2017 at 1:17 PM, dpalinsk said:

Is there a particular paint stripper that works best for powder paint?

David

David,

I bought a gallon of the Zinseer Stripper from Home Depot. If you want to strip baked on powder paint this will do the job. Put all your jigs in a bowl, cover the jigs with stripper, and in 20 minutes, take them  out one by one wipe them down. Once your done take all of your jigs and wash them in warm water with Dawn.  Jigs come out perfect ready for re-painting. Make sure you let them dry thoroughly first before you paint them. Attached is a pic of the stripper

Zinseer Stripper 2013.pdf

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cadman said:

David,

I bought a gallon of the Zinseer Stripper from Home Depot. If you want to strip baked on powder paint this will do the job. Put all your jigs in a bowl, cover the jigs with stripper, and in 20 minutes, take them  out one by one wipe them down. Once your done take all of your jigs and wash them in warm water with Dawn.  Jigs come out perfect ready for re-painting. Make sure you let them dry thoroughly first before you paint them. Attached is a pic of the stripper

Zinseer Stripper 2013.pdf

I need to clean up my molds. Have you used it for that? Not sure if it's safe on aluminium. 

Andy,

What's the matter with your molds? If they are just dirty from applying Drop-Out or other foreign matter, this is what I do.  First wipe them down with mineral spirits. Then take a safety razor and lightly scrape over the mold  faces (both sides). This will clean up any residual garbage stuck to the mold halves. Finally clean the mold halves with mineral spirits and an old toothbrush.         DO NOT USE PAINT STRIPPER.

10 hours ago, cadman said:

Andy,

What's the matter with your molds? If they are just dirty from applying Drop-Out or other foreign matter, this is what I do.  First wipe them down with mineral spirits. Then take a safety razor and lightly scrape over the mold  faces (both sides). This will clean up any residual garbage stuck to the mold halves. Finally clean the mold halves with mineral spirits and an old toothbrush.         DO NOT USE PAINT STRIPPER.

Thanks Carman, my molds have powder paint in the outside and some on the inside. Stuff is nearly impossible to remove. I may have to start doing things a little different  I read Columbia has a liquid remover for powder coat that's safe on aluminium. 

2 hours ago, andy1976 said:

Thanks Carman, my molds have powder paint in the outside and some on the inside. Stuff is nearly impossible to remove. I may have to start doing things a little different  I read Columbia has a liquid remover for powder coat that's safe on aluminium. 

Andy, I have an old mold, that I will put some stripper on there, and report to you in a couple of days. Maybe it won't damage the aluminum. Since it is powder paint, you could try lacquer thinner. However, that will be a slow process, of rubbing the powder paint off the mold. Just remember that lacquer thinner has a high flash point and don't breathe the fumes too long . I will report back to you with my findings.

6 hours ago, cadman said:

Andy, I have an old mold, that I will put some stripper on there, and report to you in a couple of days. Maybe it won't damage the aluminum. Since it is powder paint, you could try lacquer thinner. However, that will be a slow process, of rubbing the powder paint off the mold. Just remember that lacquer thinner has a high flash point and don't breathe the fumes too long . I will report back to you with my findings.

Thank you

On 2/15/2017 at 1:48 AM, andy1976 said:

Thank you

Andy,

I filled a 3/4 oz mold cavity with paint stripper. It stayed in there for three days. It did not pit or damage the aluminum cavity or its surrounding area at all. I was surprised. I would still clean your mold with mineral spirits. A much safer solution.

• Like 1