stumpjumper16

Ideas for making a mold

I have several spinnerbaits that gambler bait company stopped making called the ninja spin that I would like to replicate a mold for my own personal use in 3/8 and 1/2 ounce. I tried plaster of Paris several times and one side turns out great but the opposite side ends up messy. Any ideas would be appreciated on switching technique or materials.

3 hours ago, cadman said:

I assume you want to do this economically, so I would try high temp RTV silicone. The kind they use for intake manifold sealing on cars. If I remember correctly it is red or gold in color. You can get it at your auto store.

Has/does anybody used this type of silicone (single part out of a tube) successfully in making a lead pouring mold? 

The silicone that I thought was used is 2 part. :huh:

Food grade 2 part silicone may work.  Its only rated for about 390 degree under use if I recall.  You can get more information from Smooth-On as they make one called "Sorta-Clear" that I use for making candy molds molds.  I think that as heat transfers from the lead to the silicone as it cools quickly and the temperature is high only for a very short time.  If you allow the mold to cool fully before making the next casting it might last a for several castings before it needs to be remade.  If you dump and fill as fast as you can you may burn out the mold fairly quickly. 

The following is for illustrative purposes only.  I do not advocate causing harm to yourself or others. 

Example:  Next time you are out camping  or sitting around the bonfire drinking brews with your buddies pass your right hand thru the flame quickly a dozen times, but several minutes apart.  and then hold your left hand in the flame for a dozen seconds.  Let us know which hand is the one you have treated for severe burns at the emergency room. 

Another example of how more molds is more efficient.  There is no substitute for cubic inches. 

Edited by Bob La Londe

The head design of the ninja Spin looks to be pretty close to the  Do-It Ultra Minnow Jig Mold.  I can speak from experience that trying to make a decent mold for lead is not the easiest thing in the world to do and if that Do-It mold is remotely close to what you're looking for (or any of their others) I'd recommend modifying it to take a spinnerbait wire.  Fill the voids with JB weld (hook eye) and take a file to cut lines where you want the wire to sit.

I've tried bondo and JB weld in the past for duplicating items - with limited success and am about to go the 2 part silicone route on a couple projects I am working on.  BTW, I got the best results from bondo and here's a quick run down of what I did...  I took an old hilts mold, drilled out the center of each side on a drill press  larger than the bait I was reproducing. poured in the bondo, sunk the jig halfway down, let it dry (you'll need to apply some sort of release agent so the bait doesnt stick)  Pulled the bait and sanded it down flat. (a razor blade also works well) Replaced jig -  coated entire surface with release agent - poured bondo in the other side of the mold cavity and closed/clamped the mold.   IN theory, when you open the mold, you should have a pretty decent cavity.   

• Like 3