Rokynutz

Clone style inline spinners

Ok people, I have been trying to find it on my own without making a new thread. Now I'm just wanting answers. I would like to know the size of shaft and type of blade a R00STER-T@IL uses. I use the crap out of these things here on my local rivers ranging from 1/16-1/8 sizes in Firetiger, Brown trout, white, black, and white/grey. I would like to know what size hooks, shafts. I'll figure out where to source the "feather" bits.  Any help would be nice guys!

I can tell you this. The body can be  made out of a  Do-It lure body mold. The other components, you can just go to BPS and measure the size(s) you need. That would be more accurate, this way you can copy yours from the original.  Or just buy an original and then take it apart and measure everything. That is what I would do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cadman said:

I can tell you this. The body can be  made out of a  Do-It lure body mold. The other components, you can just go to BPS and measure the size(s) you need. That would be more accurate, this way you can copy yours from the original.  Or just buy an original and then take it apart and measure everything. That is what I would do.

Me, too.

My nephew uses them all the time and asked me to make some copies for him.  The one on the left is an actual rooster and mine is on the right.  The difference is the blade, roosters use minnow style blade - mine is a swing blade, but through a buy on ebay I have actual Swiss Swing Blades, actual rooster style blade.   Check out the products on-line catalogues and you'll find most of the info but you'll have to root around for it. 

100_1582.jpg

The 1/16th and below rooster tails:

.024 wire

#1 folded clevis

Blade size is a #1 minnow style blade

Treble hook size on a 1/16th is a size 12 treble

The 1/8th oz.:

.026 wire. 

#1 folded clevis

Blade size is a #2 minnow style blade

Treble hook size on a 1/8th is a size 10 treble

• Like 1

Thank you all for your help. means a lot to a newb just starting out in the lure making hobby. It's kinda addicting...wife isn't happy about it. Haha. Yeah, I use these bad boys for Pikeminnow bounty fishing here on the lower Columbia River. fish for them like ou do bass. Find the right structure and start throwing spoons, spinners, and jigs. works like a charm.

The blade you want for a Rooster Tail is called a "swing blade". They used to make them with willow blades as well but they were had to get started in smaller sizes but the swing blades work well. You can use the folded clevis as Fatman does as Mepps also uses a folded clevis but I believe the Rooster Tail uses a Stirrup clevis also called an easy spin clevis.

Being new to inline spinners I gave them a try for a trip coming up soon. I can get my hands on TIG and MIG Electrodes/welding  rods and wire made out of SS at a really nice price.

I've been watching all the post on inline spinners and used this ss for my shafts (.30) and they are doing great in test in a pond I use. I place some feathers on the treble hooks. I made a jig to do my twist in the shaft. Caught some nice fish on them, but that pond has a catch and release rule, per me...lol. It has some nice fish in it. I made the spinners with stirrup clevis's. There will be no worry about slime where I'm going, mountain lakes and rivers. Rocks, well that is a different story.

This was a chance for me to say thanks for the info y'all put out on TU. The lures really turned out great. I'm looking forward on catching some smallies. Got the fever!!!

Dale

• Like 2

My wife officially doesn't want me on this "naughty" site. lol she be busting my....."boys" if you know what I mean. 

DaleSW: Go to the Goodwill and buy a cheap, High temp toaster oven. from what I have read, those little things were made for powder coating lures. 

Got one for jigs, bucktails, etc. Yep they are the thing to get unless you want to buy a oven that is made for this work. I find these with a  hanging thermometer will do the trick.

I'm just new to inline spinners.

p.s., I don't think I like the idea of powder on small blades for painting. Spoons maybe because of the weight and throwing the blade out of balance. There are many other interesting paints, inks that would do it too.

Edited by DaleSW
Added to comment