joelhains

Shooting Star- Ultra Molds or Bears?

I've been looking at the shooting star systems by both Bears and Ultra Molds. What are the differences between the two? Are these two companies related? Both systems seem very similar if not identical (except for the pots). Is one better than the other? The Ultra Molds system looks "more professional".

I'm hoping to find one soon. Looking to increase production.

Thanks

Chris over at Ultra Molds builds the injector and the manifold (a specific manifold for the presto pots) and Bear adapts them to the presto pots. 

I've owned both and will say the Ultra Molds pots are FAR superior to presto pots by a mile. I have never used the mini system though, I do own a pair of their large systems. The way they hold heat is easier on the plastic than presto pots by far and with the large system the added capacity (2 gallons safely per side) is more than welcome. Also being able to draw from the manifold for laminates or each pot individually for solid colours is a great feature. Having the pots heat controlled by PID is also nicer than the inaccurate temp control found in the presto. Presto Pots are cast aluminum and the heating element has very little between it and the material inside. Ultra Molds uses stainless pots bolted to a machined heater plate with substantial material between the 2000 watt heater and the material inside.  

First thing I did when I got my first one was wrap a piece of 10" galvanized duct around the pots covering the insulation. 

Edited by DaveMc1
  • Like 1

Thanks, that's exactly the type of info I was hoping for! I was already leaning toward the ultra molds system. Now I think you've made up my mind!

How long does it take you to shoot 2 gallons of plastic and how long can you leave the plastic in the pots before it starts to turn yellow?

I'm going to try the used market first but if I can't find one relatively soon I'll just order one directly. 

Thanks!

9 hours ago, joelhains said:

Thanks, that's exactly the type of info I was hoping for! I was already leaning toward the ultra molds system. Now I think you've made up my mind!

How long does it take you to shoot 2 gallons of plastic and how long can you leave the plastic in the pots before it starts to turn yellow?

I'm going to try the used market first but if I can't find one relatively soon I'll just order one directly. 

Thanks!

Way too many variables to give an accurate answer. The pots have no bearing on how fast you can shoot the plastic as the number of molds, cavities and the size of the baits will determine that. How long you can hold plastic will depend on your plastic, the temp and the colour. 

• Like 1

Hi Rupert here,

They are similar because we make the center block for Bears system and the injector, it has our name on it :)

Any questions about our system feel free to call me directly on 318 265 3974.

We are also possibly unique in now having variable speed motors (from 10-75rpm) ideal if you use salt as you need a higher speed motor to keep it in suspension and maintain an even distribution through the plastic.

There are several good systems on the market, I however am slightly biased in favor of one brand ahem, cough, cough, Ultramolds lol

• Like 3

The Ultra Molds shooting star is the best there is available, Only if it had a overheat switch so someone don't burn the house down, And a guy could actually get parts for the thing, And a little higher quality pid controller was used, There would be nothing better.

Edited by Baitjunkys

I just bought the Mini Shooting Star the first of the year. It is well built and everything works very good. The baits look like they are supposed to. I have shot  3 or 4 batches of two cups each side it worked great. I would   recommend this system to anyone                                                                         

3 hours ago, Baitjunkys said:

The Ultra Molds shooting star is the best there is available, Only if it had a overheat switch so someone don't burn the house down, And a guy could actually get parts for the thing, And a little higher quality pid controller was used, There would be nothing better.

Hi Baitjunkys,

Rupert here from Ultramolds, I'm sorry you're having issues with my SS and difficulty getting spares. Have you emailed me at the website?  You are right about the PID and we have changed our supplier, they do now come with a maximum heat limit setting, but not an "overheat switch".

If you could contact me at support@ultramolds.com I will do my very best to deal with any issues you are having and supply any spare parts you may need.

7 minutes ago, 2Brits said:

Hi Baitjunkys,

Rupert here from Ultramolds, I'm sorry you're having issues with my SS and difficulty getting spares. Have you emailed me at the website?  You are right about the PID and we have changed our supplier, they do now come with a maximum heat limit setting, but not an "overheat switch".

If you could contact me at support@ultramolds.com I will do my very best to deal with any issues you are having and supply any spare parts you may need.

im good, ill be sure to pass along the info to a cpl customers tho.