jbrandon47

How to get Devcon 2 part Epox/MCU's off?

I have been painting crankbaits and clear coating them with devcon 2 part epoxy and some with Garco/DNS81 MCU's. I have a couple of cranks where the finish didn't turn out so well. My question is, how do I remove this finish so that I can re-paint the bait? Any tricks? Or should I just rough it up, prime, paint, and seal again? The devcon seems like it will be especially difficult to remove as it seems to form an egg shell type coating around the bait., whereas the MCU's seem to almost soak into the paint.

I can often peel epoxy topcoats off lures with a strong thin blade.  If you can get the blade started into the acrylic latex paint layer and pry the epoxy at that point,  it will usually begin to come off in sheets.  Heating the epoxy somewhat will help.  It only works on smooth surfaced lures, not ones that have texture like scales molded into the plastic.  I use a small Swiss Army knife to do this.  An Xacto knife blade is too brittle and may snap, which is dangerous.  Of course, if buoyancy is not a concern it would be easier to simply sand the existing epoxy lightly and begin applying a new finish.

MCU is thinner and usually penetrates the paint layer, so I would just sand and repainted it.

Edited by BobP
  • Like 1