Sfrye37

Hook hanger?

You are going to get various opinions on this question. If I don't have to use a through wire I won't. When I do use a through wire I want a loop and the end wire going back into the body and secured.

I have found that epoxy and a barrel twisted wire hanger is pretty dang strong. Getting the wire about 3/4" is really strong. Its all in what you like and trust.

Dale

• Like 1

I've done it both ways.  First, I'm talking balsa bass baits only.  Harder woods don't really require "heroic measures" like thru-wiring.  In balsa, my opinion is that it's purely player's choice.  Thru-wire is a good option.  The wire strengthens the bait and the epoxy used to glue it in the bait provides added strength too.  But in my fishing experience, I've never had a balsa bait break from fish action, either made with thru-wire or with longish hand twisted screw eyes epoxied into drilled holes.  So as far as I'm concerned, the latter method works perfectly well and is easier and faster to build.  If I fished big pike or musky waters with balsa minnow baits, I might have a different opinion.  Thru-wiring might might let you land a big toothy fish that bites a balsa bait in half (in which case why did you use balsa in the first place?).  But no build method will save a balsa bait if the waterproof finish gets compromised, nor will any balsa bait survive long if it is smacked on the water to remove weeds on the trebles, regardless of how you built it.  So to me, the question is more a matter of style than practicality.