gaspumper

Griffin Montana Mongoose

I see on ebay there are 2 Griffin Montana Mongoose vices listed #1 is $261.42 #2 is $352.95.The #2 says it is a cam operated what does that mean ?Also what is the  difference between the two  for that much difference in price? I can get the #2 from the wholesaler for $197.44 he doesn't carry #1.

#1 11ad3i8.jpg

#2  2nqe4w4.jpg

You have the pictures backward, the bottom pic or #2 is the blackfoot mongoose and it retails for $145.  It comes with a bobbin cradle, c-clamp and a material clip.  The top one or #1, is a Montana Mongoose, it retails for $234 and there is a lot more going on with it. It has a cam lever that can be locked both forward and backward which is a big deal for fly tiers, it also comes with a hackle gauge and a bobbin in addition to what the blackfoot comes with. It also has a fine adjustment screw to get the exact resistance you want on the rotary feature and it also has a lock allowing you to rotate the vise and lock it in any position.  What they mean when they say cam operated is the jaw locking mechanism, there are 4 ways vises can lock the jaws to hold your hooks, there is the mechanical lock that is used on 2A vises which are the cheapest kind of vise, then you have tension locks like the Regal vise uses, then there is the thumb screw like what is on my Griffin Odyssey, and then you have the cam lock which is almost as easy as the tension lock as you simply put you hook in the jaws and turn the lever and it is locked.

I almost forgot, the Montana Mongoose also comes with a pedestal, the blackfoot does not. Now for tying jigs the blackfoot is fine, the Montana is better but most of the features really benefit fly tiers who require more precision than someone tying a jig like myself. If you tie flies, especially small ones like down to a size 28, well the Montana will be the best bet, but the cheaper one is still lifetime warranty and well made and will serve you well and it has the same hook capacity.

Edited by smalljaw

Smalljaws answered while I was writing my post and he answered your question about the same as mine, except better. I will say this, I have a Griffin and enjoy it. I don't make jigs every day but it's fine for what it do. I do prefer being table mounted, because at times I put some pressure to flare the material out.

Thanks for the information ,This is  the one my wholesale company carries for $197.44.I live in southern Ontario so prices will be more up here then in the USA.I only tie jigs 1/8 up to 2oz. Currently I use a regal vice and not really happy with it but it serves the purpose.Thinking on getting this one.I tie upwards of 5000 yr to supply a few sports shops.

4r4zme.jpg

Edited by gaspumper