SpoRoller

Chameleon paints

I have been using chameleon gold paint for a while but ordered some blue the other day. If you haven't tried this type of paint I would have to recommend the chameleon blue. In the bottle it looks like a white paint with blue glimmer. On the bait it looks awesome! I painted it over white primer and the effect was a white bait with a blue sheen. The sheen even showed through a custom blend gray (for shad colors) I netted over it.

I can't wait to see how it looks once I apply the Devcon!

Can you bring that over for my using, I mean viewing :) Is it Createx? I've used some of the chameleon auto paint that has green, gold and blue fleck in it, the kind that you look at it one way its blue, turn the angle and its green or gold. Thats kind of cool in a weird way. The paint you mentioned sounds right up our alley for that clear water lake we love.

KL

www.customluresunlimited.com

Its createx auto air, the chameleon purple is awsome stuff and the gold, thats the only two i have (i think, i have about 100 bottles of createx and createx auto air hard to find things sometimes)

I like the effect you get when you lightly mist this over the black back on a lure really gives it a cool look.

It's not labeled "Auto Air" like some of my other colors are. All I know is I go to Dixie Art and click on the chameleon and iridescent colors.

KL, I have a new blue color as well. Going to paint a lure or two with it tonight to see what it looks like. You should know the color pattern!

That purple sounds like a great idea also. I didn't paint this blue over a dark background like I normally do with chameleon colors, mainly because I didn't have any gray primer. I plan on doing it to see what effect that gives this color. Over white it just looks awesome!

I been playing with product called Faschange from Parma paints, not really a true chameleon, but they do produce a neat effect. They are designed for Lexan RC cars but they have worked well for me so far. I have tried the blue purple and gold. They create a barely noticable foggy pearl appearance but show the sheen of the color if you look from an angle. The sheen is barely noticable over a light color and it is almost opaque over a dark color, allowing for some really neat effects. Here are four examples below. The top and bottom have the Faschange purple, the second one has blue and the third gold. As you can see there is really nothing noticable from in photo since it was taken straight on. When you move the bait around a little bit you can see the sheen. I found these paints in a couple of hobby shops that cater to RC cars for under $4 for a two ounce bottle.

pearls.jpg

pearls.jpg

pearls.jpg

pearls.jpg

pearls.jpg

pearls.jpg

pearls.jpg

pearls.jpg

953_thumb.attach

They probably make the chameleon in regular createx now, when i got mine it was new and only availible in the auto air. With regular createx do you use the catalyst or bond-all addatives or just shoot it straight on? I am used to having to use auto air and catalyst because until recently the clear i used needed the paint catalyzed, just curious because i have about twice as many regular createx colors than auto air.

Update on the cham. blue, I love the stuff so far. It has a nice blue glimmer look under the devcon. I also dusted the whole lure with it and I am now wondering why I bought the pearl blue powder. The dusting gave the whole thing a glimmer blue glow. The lure is spinning right now!

Scoop, we need to link up one of these days.

I have been using the chameleon Gold over a black back and scales and it looks great. It gives the bait a shiner look and when you turn it you can see the shades of black under it. I think the Createx chameleon paints are better than the Auto Air flair tint that I have used.

Another combination is a Fluorescent hot yellow bait with Caribbean blue back and scales, Red throat and then over spray with chameleon lilac. A Great looking bait.

One other one I did was a black bait over sprayed with chameleon lilac on the top half and chemeleon blue on the bottom half. It goes from purple to blue and looks good also.

I have over sprayed is Pearlized Gold over a black back and scales. This also looked good.

Charlie M AkA Boyhowdy

This website explains a lot about color mixing & theories for the artist, maybe you guys would like to check it out. Lots of links & info about color and it's base compositions; clickable color wheel to arrive at pigment info... heavy reading stuff (at least to me). Should help you find the correct color you want to use.

The url: http://www.mauigateway.com/~donjusko/RCWDS.htm; start here and follow the other links. Don't blame me if you're stuck here forever , it's heavy reading & tons of info to digest.

PS: kellure: Is this the true chartreuse you're looking for? http://www.mauigateway.com/~donjusko/rcwyellowgreen.htm

That is some heavy reading. I'll have to find a few hours to kill on that site. In regards to the chartreuse, the more pale color may suffice on that spectrum, the other hues appear too limey (though I do like lime)...the color I ultimtely want to get to is a consistent pale chartreuse.

Thanks a bunch for that link, good info!

KL

www.customluresunlimited.com

Talked again to the guy I mentioned, the bike painter.

He said guys who paint bikes and classic cars use a black primer before putting on a chameleon or irridescent color. Said putting the chameleon over a darker color will produce some nice effects. Also said you can really mix it down, to skim milk consistency, and a light coat over any other colors will produce a nice angled tint effect that won't overshadow the original colors.

Guys, I've been using those chameleon paints for a little while now, and I use them on just about everything. I agree, they stand out the best on dark colors, especially black. Yet, I like to put them over "ghost" lures...it can add to the appeal of the bait, at least to the human eyes :lol: Also, you might want to try spraying some over your photo finshes - it adds a lot of realism to the photo. You might want to scroll back through the hardbaits photo album to my Green Sunfish Photo Finish - there I took the green and blue chameleon paints and a fine-tipped brush, and painted the spots over with it. The bait looks just like the little 'uns when you pull them out of the water. Give it a try.

8O Just looking around and saw this subject so I thaught I would jump in here.I will introduce myself on another page later.

I love Chameleon paint. Once you start using them its hard to stop. The old timers call it "flip Flop"paint. The diffrent affects are endless.I firmly believe that this technique produces more color patterns that are hard to copy than any other. The trick to getting comfortable with "flip flop "is knowing what the end result will look like before you start to paint the bait because the clear coat is what really brings it to life.The only way to do this is through a lot of trial and error. The way I learned was by taking a bunch of 1/2 inch pvc pipe cut in 4 inch lengths,paint them black-then spray each" flip flop "color on the pipe-then clear. I have seen alot of the createx used but you will never truly experience the capability of "flip flops"until you spray it with laquer or urethane base paints. Thanks guys just my two cents worth.John

the-bass-catcher

I took the green and blue chameleon paints and a fine-tipped brush, and painted the spots over with it. The bait looks just like the little 'uns when you pull them out of the water.

That's a cool tip buddy. Have you thought about making a stencil to match the photo? Great work on those rat-l-traps.

Tight lines,

Shawn

Most of the colors you guys are referring to are what we called Flip/Flop pearls, they shift 2 colors. The true Chameleon , which is a brand name for House of Kolor Automotive paint, will throw the whole spectrum of colors as you turn the lure at different angles. There are two dominant colors, such green to gold, but it also flashes purple, red whatever at different angles-really wild. Some of it is too guady for lures and I have learned to tone them down. Any of these colors are more intense over black, but again, too gaudy. Try some over a dark grey pearl for a more toned down look. I use PPG Harlequin Paint which is much more concentrated than House Of Kolor. Warning.....$30.00 an ounce for the stuff, but it goes a long way. Surf the cutom automotive sites for your really wild stuff.

They do make createx that flip flops (now) but the chameleon is more like a ghost color, only shows up at all when the angle is right, otherwise it shows whatever color is beneath. Thats what i'm talking about at least. I dont think the true color change is something that would make a bass bite a bait better, only make a fisherman buy the bait.

Thanks artbrush,

I haven't thought of making a stencil to fit the spots...I actually fit the same photos over many different shapes and contours, so it may be more trouble than it is worth. If I ever decide to stick with just painting Rat-L-Traps, then I'll definately give it a whirl... Thanks again! PS - I love what you've been doing with the water slide decals, I'm gonna start fooling around with those soon.

more pics I hit submit by accident . Look at the full color reflection in the paint . The clear coat I use is 78 bucks for a pint . It works well on some of my bigger odd lures but I still love the flexcoat . I am starting to get into house of kolor paint and some paint imported from japan . But man you cant beat that water clean up !!! That dupont clear coat is nasty stuff , very nasty and will overspray every thing around it !!! So I had to put in a big old nasty exhaust fan . I also just ordered a 200 dollar resperator which will be worth it cause I got all in a rush first time I used the clear and clear coated my nose hairs and I do belive a little bit of my brain .

tn_deere_016.jpg

tn_deere_015_155.jpg

tn_deere_019.jpg

tn_deere_016.jpg

tn_deere_015_155.jpg

tn_deere_019.jpg

tn_deere_016.jpg

tn_deere_015_155.jpg

tn_deere_019.jpg

tn_deere_016.jpg

tn_deere_015_155.jpg

tn_deere_019.jpg

tn_deere_016.jpg

tn_deere_015_155.jpg

tn_deere_019.jpg

tn_deere_016.jpg

tn_deere_015_155.jpg

tn_deere_019.jpg

tn_deere_016.jpg

tn_deere_015_155.jpg

tn_deere_019.jpg

tn_deere_016.jpg

tn_deere_015_155.jpg

tn_deere_019.jpg

962_thumb.attach

963_thumb.attach

964_thumb.attach

FF

What do you think of the HOK paints. I have checked out the site before and have thought about ordering some. Also, where can I check out the paint from Japan. I have talked to some about it. But I can't seem to find a site to check it out. I know that a fellow named ITO that owns Megabass uses a paint that costs $3000.00 a lb. to spray some reels from Diawa.

Skeeter

The paint from japan is kinda a luck thing , the guy I talked to had some one bring it over so I am not sure on that , but from the looks its some gooood stuff !! I like house of kolors , my friend is working at an autobody dealer so I have gotten free paint . I have not trid HOK expensive flip flops and such yet , but their regular colors are real nice .