Sudd

Pouring plastics

I just ordered my supplies to start pouring plastics. I'm very excited to start learning this. I've also got supplies for jigs but I ordered the heads already poured. I've got all the safety equipment except for a respirator, Do I need one or just the paper type mask? Also I'm going to being doing my tackle making in my building which has a  4' wide door and also a window. Will this be sufficient if I set a fan near the door?

You do need a respirator, and you should have the fan behind you, blowing the fumes away from you and out the door.  Otherwise, your eyes can absorb the fumes.  Been there, done that.

Home Depot sells a 3M painters mask that has the organic vapors filters you should use.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium-Paint-Project-Respirator-6211PA1-A/100653900

The disposable 6001 filters only last for about four hours, and then they need to be replaced, or you'll be inhaling fumes.

9 hours ago, mark poulson said:

You do need a respirator, and you should have the fan behind you, blowing the fumes away from you and out the door.  Otherwise, your eyes can absorb the fumes.  Been there, done that.

Home Depot sells a 3M painters mask that has the organic vapors filters you should use.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium-Paint-Project-Respirator-6211PA1-A/100653900

The disposable 6001 filters only last for about four hours, and then they need to be replaced, or you'll be inhaling fumes.

Ok thanks I only need to wear respirator while the plastic is hot correct?

22 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

I wait until I'm ready to demold before I remove my respirator.  If I can still smell the plastic, I put it back on and run the fan a bit longer.

If you can smell it, put the mask back on.

Thanks, I just got the 3m painters respirator today off eBay for $15 new. All my bait making materials will be here next week. I hope to get good enough with plastics and Jigs to start selling them. I would love to turn it into a small business one day. My dad and his brothers had a handmade crankbait business years ago. Two of my uncles made a living from it. Dad he worked his reg job and the bait business. They sold out and the kids was not where we could purchase it. So its in my blood its all I've ever been around. So I'm excited to start this up!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sudd said:

Thanks, I just got the 3m painters respirator today off eBay for $15 new. All my bait making materials will be here next week. I hope to get good enough with plastics and Jigs to start selling them. I would love to turn it into a small business one day. My dad and his brothers had a handmade crankbait business years ago. Two of my uncles made a living from it. Dad he worked his reg job and the bait business. They sold out and the kids was not where we could purchase it. So its in my blood its all I've ever been around. So I'm excited to start this up!

Good luck!  It's in your genes!!