jbrandon47

Question About Selling Custom Painted Cranks

Thanks for the quick reply. I've got a customer who has ordered 18 baits.

7 of which he has paid for and have been shipped to him.

4 are done and ready to ship but still pending payment and have been for a week or so.

The question has arisen because now he wants me to paint 7 more and he got offended when I told him I had them primed and ready to go and once he pays for them I will paint them. I'd hate to paint them and then be stuck with 7 baits that may or may not sell... I'm not sure how else to do it; I certainly wouldn't ship them before he pays for them, right....?

Maybe he wants me to send him a picture of them before he pays? Is this a common occurrence?

5 hours ago, jbrandon47 said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I've got a customer who has ordered 18 baits.

7 of which he has paid for and have been shipped to him.

4 are done and ready to ship but still pending payment and have been for a week or so.

The question has arisen because now he wants me to paint 7 more and he got offended when I told him I had them primed and ready to go and once he pays for them I will paint them. I'd hate to paint them and then be stuck with 7 baits that may or may not sell... I'm not sure how else to do it; I certainly wouldn't ship them before he pays for them, right....?

Maybe he wants me to send him a picture of them before he pays? Is this a common occurrence?

We all judge others by ourselves.  That's the only frame of reference we have.

People who want custom painted baits either don't know how to do it themselves, or don't want to take the time.  Either way, they should know no one works for free, and asking to be paid up front is a reasonable request.

If he gets offended he's not a trustworthy customer.

I love this site. Thanks for all the feedback!

I started to fall into the trap this morning, thinking that since has had paid for some baits (not all though) I told him I'd start on them before he paid me.

After getting all of this feedback, however, I am going to ship out the baits he has paid for and the ones that are unpaid will get painted when they get paid. Don't want to be a statistic  

Thanks again everyone!

There are two that I know of that has answered this post, that are owners of companies. They both said to get money first. I'm starting to slide towards being a company but I have sold as a hobbyist for some time now. I try to stay local, but that's getting harder to do. I understand your issue.

PayPal is a options but I know that you would be adding cost to your product that way. The cross over is the issue and if both parties are honest, it's hard because the other doesn't know this.

I believe by shipping what he paid for will show that you are just straight up and will go a looong way!

I agree get your money first.

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
  • Like 1

I'm a new member with zero reputation here, so I'm a bit reluctant to jump in with slightly off-topic advice.  That said, I keep re-reading this post, and the don't  "be a statistic" comments hit close to home.

Payment issues aside (been burned by that myself), you may find yourself with a liability problem.  DaleSW mentioned two that have responded here are business owners (I know not which two members).  I absolutely don't want to speak for anyone else, and please believe I'm not trying to be a 'downer' or dissuade anyone from the 'starting a business' concept, just be careful.  It's a big, scary jump from selling as a hobbyist to friends and acquaintances to starting a company and selling to strangers.  If a buddy somehow hurts himself with one of your baits, you can trust it'll just be a funny story.  If the same thing happens to someone you don't know, you could face legal action.  Without the proper insurance for your company, it can hurt.  Some people out there will take any opportunity to make some easy money.  I suppose that's another reason I avoid people and just go fishing.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hughesy said:

They would have to eat the paint to sue me. We dont sell lures, just paint jobs.

Ha!  Oh, I could almost see it...

Lawyer: "Well, your Honor, my client had dropped the lure in his live well.  It was so realistic looking, he cleaned, battered, fried, and consumed it along with the other fish he had caught that day..."

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dauds said:

Ha!  Oh, I could almost see it...

Lawyer: "Well, your Honor, my client had dropped the lure in his live well.  It was so realistic looking, he cleaned, battered, fried, and consumed it along with the other fish he had caught that day..."

I know a couple like that. :(

I know few myself sadly. I also know what insurance cost for me to start up if I do it. I agree about insurance tho. I heard of those ridiculous law suites and you have prove neglet. These suites normally go visit the Tidy Bowl Man. I know this may be a generation joke. :boo:

I have problems with aquanticises paying me back at cost. They catch fish and then come back for another for free, I gave them the first one. They got a "take care" after all the small talk on the second.

Dale

I believe in time I may go and create a business and I hear you Flipper. That's why I looked into insurance and what it would cost to start one up. It's just not worth it at this time. I just make sure at this time to keep it at cost. Selling is so limited other then people that "doesn't want something for nothing". They realize that it cost me for all the materials. If you are golden (follow laws), you should have no worries. That is me!

Dale

• Like 1

It can seem daunting at the start up of a business.  There are set costs which can't be avoided (incorporation, copyright, etc.), but you'd be surprised where you can save some money if you network correctly and find the right people.  It's amazing how many are willing to barter for their services.  A big bill from a lawyer preparing your paperwork is tough to swallow before you've begun making any money.  But, if you can find one willing to do the same work for a custom rod and a handful of baits...

Lawyer, graphic artist, web developer, even our insurance guy, we get significant discounts in exchange for some of our gear.

• Like 1