Dwilly

old baits to make new baits

Hey guys I'm new to the soft plastic hobby as I stated earlier in the week in a different question.  Question now is what are the draw backs of you using old baits and melting and re-pouring them.  I realize with new plastic you get make your own colors, but will old baits work alright?  Does the plastic burn more easy, or does it hurt if the baits have glitter in them when you re-heat? Any  help is appreciated.

Thanks for time 

This is a multiple level question. 

1) Reusing factory baits.

This can be tricky.  Some are not made of plastisol and they will not melt and pour correctly.  If they are made of plastisol then it is ok.  Remember that multicolored baits, when re-melted, blend the color, so it can look muddy.

2) Reusing your own baits.

Absolutely.  Just remember that every re-melt makes them a little harder so you might need to add softener.  Also remember that every re-melt tends to yellow or burn it a little so consider that and use no more heat then is necessary.  Of  course the multicolored baits issue still applies.

I re-melt my old baits and reuse my plastic all the time.  Each re-melt usually goes into a darker color.

On 2/18/2017 at 6:32 AM, Driftwood said:

If I'm re-melting for the same color, I'm good to go. For multiple colors, it all goes into one pot and I add black coloring. You may want to add a little heat stabilizer to help ease the burning or yellowing. This will be a non issue when making black.

+1.... just assume remelts will be brown/black/green pumpkin and you'll be ok....

Baits with salt will also mess with you if you reuse.... one way to get around this is heat salted baits up to pouring temps - and then DON'T stir... but let it sit.... the salt will settle (which is what most people want to avoid when pouring - but not now!!!).... then just pour off the top or even better let it cool fully and cut off the salty bottom part and the upper portion will be "relatively" salt free.

J.

• Like 1

Yeah, I frequently remelt baits especially those I made from scratch. I ha e found that the easiest baits to reuse are those made by Zoom and Bitters Baits. Some others either stink to high heaven or bubble really bad. I get a lot of used plastics from my buddies in my bass club and I just sort through it and use what I can and trash the rest. Some 2 color baits (laminates) if you can get enough to do anything with can make some very very nice solid colors.