stretcher66

photos

That a durn good question! I have taken pic under florescent, led, every light that's around a home w/flash and without. Never really like what comes from it.

Now I do like putting a mirror glass under the bait(s) (water effect) out in the sunlight. I feel that I get the colors to show thru.

Travis is in to photography, maybe he can give us a good answer.

Dale

Outside light is awesome, and the cloud cover stops the harsh reflections.  Of course, the flash works well as a fill in.

But, if you don't have those conditions, what do you do?  The key is not the type of light, it is the "temperature" of the light.  Now the term "temperature" is a bit confusing, and I won't go into where the term came from, but the higher the temperature the closer to true white the light is, dispute the fact it is called blue white.  The range is measured from 0 K to 10000 K but most residential and commercial ranges run from 2700 K to 6500 K.

If you go to your local Lowes or Home Depot, check out the Fluorescent light bulbs.  You will see that "soft white" is about 2700 Kelvin.  Don't worry about what the terms mean, just worry about the differences.  The soft white is what most standard old style incandescent light bulbs put out, the yellow white color.  It is terrible for pictures. 

I like something around 5400 K for my lure work.  It is close to "daylight" color and I feel like I can get better detail with painting, etc.  But, you can easily find 6500 K, and even more white.  I believe 5400K takes some awesome pictures.  I believe that 6000 K or above will give a blue look to most pictures.

I found the following quote on the internet.  "The three primary types of color temperature for light bulbs are: Soft White (2700K – 3000K), Bright White/Cool White (3500K – 4100K), and Daylight (5000K – 6500K). The higher the Degrees Kelvin, the whiter the color temperature."  I also found the following link that helps.  http://www.westinghouselighting.com/color-temperature.aspx

Don't be concerned that you don't have a fluorescent fixture, some LED screw in bulbs are also daylight rated.

If you use ~5000 K to 5400 K lights, and you use reflectors to prevent shadows, you can take excellent pictures of your lures.

PS - Flash units are normally about 5400 K.

• Like 2