MonteSS

Createx White Opaque Base

I did when I first started painting. I use auto air now and thinking about trying some that Mark uses. He was talking about rustoleum high gloss. The thing is I don't just use white or black anymore for my base coats.

Yep I'm leaving Createx for my paints now, I'm using Wicked mainly. I'm even starting to look other types of paint and brands.

Dale

I like to use Polytranspar Superhide White.  Lots of pigment to cover fast and it dries very quickly with a hair dryer to a coating that's harder than regular Createx.

p.s. have you ever used auto primers and noticed that your crankbait box smells like a seagull died in there afterward?  No thanks.

Edited by BobP

Good luck guys, but I suspect you won't like what you will find.

White is the toughest material to get to cover colors.  It is a physics/science problem, but to get it to cover colors, the darker the worse, you need to have a LOT of pigments.  To get this, you can thicken the paint or apply many coats.  Titanium is the normal white pigment and if you apply it with water based paints too thick when painting, it aligns and allows light to penetrate.  In short, lots of paint, lots of coats.  But some are better then others.

BobP has suggested a good one (Polytranspar Superhide White), one of the best I have found, but..........

I finally started using a white spray paint like Krylon for my base coats.  It is solvent based, dries super fast, covers in one or two coats.  Then I hit the coat with a little steel wool, clean it, then go back to my airbrush.

It is just not the easiest thing to do to cover things with white. 

• Like 1

Normally I have no trouble with sealers covering using as a primer. Never had a smell like that unless it was attractant on some other type of bait. Have you ever smelt an attractant? Don't worry about any other smell. Never have that problem. Could you have left something else in there Bob? :whistle:

Polytranspar seems to have pop up in the last few weeks and that is what I was stating about in my last post, even looking at their lacquer line. I was thinking about using them as accent colors.

Dale

Yes, some of the cheap hobby paint lines put a lot of pigment in their white paint to act as a cover white.  If shot through a large tipped brush, they are a viable alternative.  However, I just prefer to use airbrush paint.  It gives a smoother dry surface and there's only one airbrush to clean up afterward.

3 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

Titanium is the normal white pigment ...........

Titanium dioxide.

I never found the Createx Opaque white to be poor preforming about like most of the other airbrush paints that I have used over the years.  I tried dipping in Kills and used Krylon H20 some also.    I do seal all my baits with shellac first however as get much quicker build of coat as nothing is soaking in.

• Like 1

Actually polytranspar is cheaper then most quality water base paints per oz. However I'm still going to give it a try. One reason is the product interest me. Testor enamels gives a vivid color and shoots outstanding as Ben has stated. Its also gives a very smooth finish. Which has now been put on my paint list for certain applications using airbrushes. If a product does a job properly I don't care if it's  :twocents: cheaper. 

Take care,

Dale

6 hours ago, DaleSW said:

I did when I first started painting. I use auto air now and thinking about trying some that Mark uses. He was talking about rustoleum high gloss. The thing is I don't just use white or black anymore for my base coats.

Yep I'm leaving Createx for my paints now, I'm using Wicked mainly. I'm even starting to look other types of paint and brands.

Dale

Dale,

The high gloss I use is the Rustoleum X2 Clear High Gloss as a top coat.

I use their X2 White Primer as a base/build coat, because it has a lot of solids/pigment.  It is a matte finish.

Both of the X2 paints are solvent based, and have to cure 24 hours before fishing, or painting the next coat.  I use that white primer when I am not in a hurry, and use a hair dryer to warm it and speed up the cure.

I also use Wicked White as a base for some of my paint jobs, because it can be heat set with a hair dryer, and I can finish a paint job in one day.  It is fast to apply several coats, heat setting each on, so I can build it up.  Then I go over it with Createx Pearl White when I begin my actual paint scheme.

Sorry if I wasn't clear before.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

Ok I found the description for what I bought. 

Createx Opaque Base.  Opaque Base: Add to Createx transparent (matte) airbrush colors for added opacity. Extends opaque colors to a lighter value. See label for usage information.

So it is not what I thought it was LOL and why it is not doing what I want.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:37 PM, Travis said:

Titanium dioxide.

I never found the Createx Opaque white to be poor preforming about like most of the other airbrush paints that I have used over the years.  I tried dipping in Kills and used Krylon H20 some also.    I do seal all my baits with shellac first however as get much quicker build of coat as nothing is soaking in.

I got lazy, it is Titanium DIOXIDE.  Thanks for keeping me in check.  :)

On 2/18/2017 at 9:57 AM, MonteSS said:

Worst stuff ever. It's like water and wont cover. Anyone tried it?

I use it all the time as a base coat and it works great . My Paache Talon air brush with  the .038 tip likes it thinned because it is thick and clogs my tip.  . At times,  when trying try to cover a dark paint,  I have to use 2  coats.  Other than that,  I have never had any problems.....maybe you got a bad bottle? 

Edited by fishreed