vipor3d

Multiple Cavity Worm Mold

I am fairly new to the process of pouring my own baits and have been doing a lot of looking into various molds. I am particularly interested in making 6 to 7 inch u-tail like worms and have already had a few people ask me to make some for them, which I do not mind doing.  However, it seems that every mold I can find for this type of worm usually only has two cavities. It would seem to me that even with multiple molds it would be rather time consuming to make up enough worms for other people when the molds only have two cavities, and especially if I wanted to make worms of multiple colors. I have been trying to find molds that would allow me to make maybe ten or so at a time but I cannot seem to find anything like this for the size and type worm I am going for. Is there a reason that higher capacity molds are not produced like this? Or do higher capacity molds always have to be custom made?

3 hours ago, Walking Dead said:

Many questions.  They make them but can you fill a ten cavity mold with the equipment you have?  What injector do you have? System?   I use many four cavity plus worm molds but about 8 (2 molds) is all my 6 or 7 ounce injectors will fill without error. Provide some more details.

I know I cant with the equipment I have, because I do not really have much. Like I said, I'm new at it. I've pretty much just been experimenting with old baits and homemade mold shapes. I'm not trying to start churning worms out overnight or anything like that. I was just asking about a higher cavity mold just so I can get an idea of what sort of equipment I might would need to look into as I figure things out more and develop my little project. I understand that a 10 cavity u tail mold would be quite large and expensive, but would that be more expensive than buying five two-cavity molds? Also, wouldn't having a fewer number of higher capacity molds instead of more lower capacity molds decrease the amount of time I would have to spend opening and closing the molds to remove the baits after injection?

You won't see much if any cost savings. Yes you will be opening and closing molds less but at the same time you will have a ton more heat buildup in a 10 cavity mold. Speaking from experience, I will dance circles around you if I was shooting five 2 cavity molds and you were shooting one 10 cavity. 

• Like 2